Last Wednesday evening I finished the turbo conversion on the V70R.
After some initial test runs the wastegate wasn't working properly. Car went in to fail safe much to quick.
Yesterday I drove the car to RICA HQ in the Netherlands, a 135 mile drive for me.
Traffic was extrem and it took me a long time to get there. There was a major computer crash in what is believed to be the hart of the Dutch railroad system. During the morning the public railroad systems went flat so every commute decided to take the car clogging up the highway systems in the hart of the Netherlands. Another reason not to try and floor the car.
Kept the car mostly off boost during the trip. Took some diagnostics equipment with me which I used twice during the trip to reset DTC's and failsafe.
Arriving at RICA Mr. RICA and his son were present. There wasn't much on their agenda for the day so they had some time to work on the R. Pretty soon we discovered that the suggested external wastegate schematics weren't suitable for the Volvo solenoid setup. We changed the vacuum line setup and things were working properly. Not having any experience with external wastegates made be a bit hesitant to use a different setup but it showed that the wastegate is functioning 100% now with extreme stable boost control.
The boost mappings in the ECU were zero'd and retuned from there. A/F and ignition was pretty much spot on already. After a few dyno runs the complete boost map was finished, not to high at the moment though because I want to run the car "Low profile" with the new setup for a while before taking it a step further. Tidy up first and proceed later.
After that came the load testing on the dyno. The car was tortured to the extreme resulting in teh Haldex system overheating and shutting down. A scary moment since all the power is tranferred to the front wheels which started slipping the rollers instantly cause a lot of smoke to enter the dyno room. The shutdown happened just above 6000 RPM WOT..
A cool down period further and the last steps were performed including a final run to plot the new so called GT30 baseline.
Torque is kept low for now. Engine output broke the 400 HP barrier. Yippee!