Volvospeed Forums

Reset For Check Engine Light

Jason R.

Once the computer has been cleared and reset, how long should it take for it to run its non-continuous monitor tests? If my question doesn't make sense, here is the background:

Last week I failed an emissions test. The likely culprit was the nearly completely destroyed little rubber vacuum elbow connected to the passenger side of the intake manifold. I replaced it and had the memory reset to clear the check engine light. One week later, I went back to get the emissions tested again. Before he even ran the test, he hooked something up to the ECU and got the following reads under the "non-continuous monitor tests" section:

Catalyst - Not Complete

Heated Catalyst - Not supported

Evaporative System - Not Complete

Secondary Air System - Not Complete

A/C Sys Refrigerant - Not Supported

Oxygen Sensor - Not Complete

Oxygen Sensor Heater - Not Complete

EGR System - Not Supported.

The emissions guy was tryinig to tell me that I just haven't waited long enough since the computer was reset for it to have a chance to run those tests again. But its been nearly a week, the car has been driven probably 75 miles (about 40 of them on the freeway). Do you think I really need to wait longer or is something else wrong.

What do I do??? :(

What do I do???

This is a problem that a Lot of Volvos are having across the USA as the various emission stations are connecting tools to see if the ready-ness codes are set. If they are set that means there are no codes and if there is no smoke out the exhaust there is no need to dyno the car. Problem is that for all the ready-ness codes to reset on the Volvo ECU it is a royal pain. I'll try to find the driving cycle and procedures to force reset the ready-ness codes. It's a long complicated driving cycle that has to be done twice.

Guest Guest_Jason R._*

This is a problem that a Lot of Volvos are having across the USA as the various emission stations are connecting tools to see if the ready-ness codes are set. If they are set that means there are no codes and if there is no smoke out the exhaust there is no need to dyno the car. Problem is that for all the ready-ness codes to reset on the Volvo ECU it is a royal pain. I'll try to find the driving cycle and procedures to force reset the ready-ness codes. It's a long complicated driving cycle that has to be done twice.

Thanks. Do you know if the ready ness codes actually need to be reset in order for me to pass the emissions? In other words, I can't tell if the emissions guy is telling me that I will fail because of the ready-ness codes arren't reset or because he doesn't want to hook me up to the dyno because he thinks there is actually something wrong with the car. Can I just tell him to hook it up? He was mumbling something about the fact that since more than two of codes aren't ready, he can't pass me. Just wondering if maybe I should go elsewhere.

Once the computer has been cleared and reset, how long should it take for it to run its non-continuous monitor tests? If my question doesn't make sense, here is the background:

Last week I failed an emissions test. The likely culprit was the nearly completely destroyed little rubber vacuum elbow connected to the passenger side of the intake manifold. I replaced it and had the memory reset to clear the check engine light. One week later, I went back to get the emissions tested again. Before he even ran the test, he hooked something up to the ECU and got the following reads under the "non-continuous monitor tests" section:

Catalyst - Not Complete

Heated Catalyst - Not supported

Evaporative System - Not Complete

Secondary Air System - Not Complete

A/C Sys Refrigerant - Not Supported

Oxygen Sensor - Not Complete

Oxygen Sensor Heater - Not Complete

EGR System - Not Supported.

The emissions guy was tryinig to tell me that I just haven't waited long enough since the computer was reset for it to have a chance to run those tests again. But its been nearly a week, the car has been driven probably 75 miles (about 40 of them on the freeway). Do you think I really need to wait longer or is something else wrong.

What do I do??? :(

I found this on the internet, is from an older Volvo Service bulletin. It worked perfectly even though it took me about an hour to do. What a pain!

Affected vehicles:

Motronic 4.4, equipped with an automatic transmission

Motronic 4.3, equipped with an automatic transmission

OBD II Readiness Codes: Revised Reset Instructions

Background

The MY 1996, 1997 and 1998 Volvo 850/S70/V70/C70s require an extended

driving period in order to reset readiness codes from INCOMPLETE to

COMPLETE. When verifying an emission related repair, the TRIP identified

in Section KKKK of the Engine Management System Service Manual TP

2308202 M 4.4 or Section EBU of the Engine Management System Service

Manual TP 2301202 M 4.3 may not allow all of the diagnostic monitors to

run.

The following instructions, which supersede TRIP instructions contained

in the above referenced service manual, will exercise all of the

diagnostic monitors on these models. As long as no diagnostic trouble

codes have been stored, the readiness codes will be set to COMPLETE upon

completion of two consecutive trips driven according to the

instructions.

Introduction 1

This on-road driving sequence will allow all of the diagnostic functions

an opportunity to run. After two correct, consecutive TRIPS, the

readiness codes should be set to COMPLETE, provided no diagnostic

trouble codes have been stored.

General Instructions 2

Engine temperature at start must be below +50°C (122°F).

Air conditioning (A/C) must be off during idle periods. A/C compressor

activation during the Evap diagnostic may interrupt the Evap test.

Select a suitable route where it is possible to safely stop at the side

of the road. Obey all traffic regulations and posted speed limits.

Trip Instructions 3

^ Start engine

^ Move gear selector to Drive

^ Accelerate gently to 1500 - 2000 rpm

^ Drive for 6 minutes at 1500 - 2000 rpm

^ Safely stop the car and idle engine for 70 seconds with Drive engaged

^ Accelerate to 1600 - 2000 rpm

^ Drive for 6 minutes at 1600 - 2000 rpm

^ Stop the car and idle engine for 70 seconds with drive engaged

^ Accelerate to at least 45 mph, drive for 5 minutes at 1800 - 2200 rpm

^ Stop the car and idle engine for 60 seconds with Drive engaged

^ Accelerate to at least 45 mph, drive for 4 minutes at 1800 - 2200 rpm