Volvospeed Forums

Vol-Fcr And Obd2 Usb-Cable Problem

akka

Hey guys, Old thread but maybe someone has some info pertaining to my problem. I purchased the Volvo FCR cable from ebay with a serial port end instead of the usb. For some reason I thought the serial version was better than the usb. Of course, my laptop has no serial ports so I also bought a ExpressCard serial port.

I set the add on serial port in device manager to com1. The FCR program can't communicate with the car. I tried lowering the baud rate and adjusting the Uart settings but still no go. Will a usb to serial adapter work or should I just try to find an FCR cable that has the usb plug?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did just this. The cable came today and worked fine. I cleared the SRS code that I set when I replaced to odometer gear and started the car while the passenger airbag was unhooked.

Get a cheap-o ebay USB vagcom cable and be done with it. don't bother with serial...

• 1 month later...

I have a KKL VAG COM for 409.1 cable and VOL-FCR USB version. I am able to read engine,abs,srs and lock/immobilizer codes. I cannot however reset the service light or access the climate control system (the reason I bought the cable. I receive an error.

Anyone have any luck with these systems and what did you do?

Cmercon:

What operating system and what version of the Vol-Fcr software are you using?

This seemed to work, but there was no luck communicating with "immobilizer" and "instruments": Plug in the USB-type cable, let Windows 7 "automatically" find the drivers, set port to com1, other advanced port settings set to default, connect cable to OBD-ii port, key at position II, then attempt communication with a module via Vol-FCR.

If you can see the correct "immobilizer" and "(combined)instruments" output, what are your settings?

If using a VAG-COM 409.1 OBDII to RS232 cable make sure that the port is set to COM1.

If using a VAG-COM 409.1 OBDII to USB cable, it is necessary to install the appropriate drivers. Most of these cables use the same FTDI chip and the drivers can be located on this page (link).

NOTE

After the VCP drivers are installed and the cable connected, make sure the port is set up correctly in Control Panel - Device Manager - (look under Com Ports).

Under Properties - Port Settings set the following:

Bits per second: 9600

Data Bits 8

Parity None

Stop Bits 1

Flow Control None

Then Under Port Settings - Advanced set the following:

COM Port number: COM1

Receive (Bytes) 64

Transmit (Bytes 64

Latency Timer (msec) 3

Minimum Read timeout 100

Minimum Write Time out 100

SlapShot -

Thanks. Those settings were tried, but still no luck. The VCP (virtual com port) drivers are current.

For the immobilizer there is a time-out error. It looks like communication never happens.

For instruments, "comms message" shows comms is established, and for a couple of seconds "comms status" shows "ok".

Shortly afterward (whether or not Read DTC is selected), module ID shows "invalid data".

The cable is a USB K-K-L 409 Vag-Com. Does a "K-L" type cable work where "K-K-L" would not?

Try turning the baud rate lower than 9600 and the latency timer less than 3. I have one of those cheap china blue cables from eBay and everything works. Not saying my settings are ideal but they work on all the cars I've tried it on. Maybe you've got a wonky wiring issue or ground?

Does everything work for you with both Windows 7 and XP? Does your cable work with both 1.3 and 1.7 versions of Vol-FCR?

I'm going to try the settings you suggested.

version 1.7 (not 1.3) does show the "instruments" module - same port settings. Still nothing for the immobilizer, though.

Does everything work for you with both Windows 7 and XP? Does your cable work with both 1.3 and 1.7 versions of Vol-FCR?

I'm going to try the settings you suggested.

version 1.7 (not 1.3) does show the "instruments" module - same port settings. Still nothing for the immobilizer, though.

Works fine with Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) and Windows XP. I'm using Vol-FCR 1.3.06...which can be "acquired" online. Where did you find 1.7 / is it a demo?

Yep...the 1.7 I have is the demo version. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit (not with XP mode).

For accessing the power seat modules and instruments sometimes it takes several tries to get communications established.

I tried those settings...still no dice even with antivirus off. But it looks like for the "instruments" module, v1.3 software might be the problem (since the demo 1.7 at least shows comms where 1.3 shows invalid data).

Maybe the cable is part of the problem. I had codes read and remotes programmed at one time at a dealership. They didn't mention anything about inaccessible modules.

There is communication with the "lock and alarm" module.

• 4 months later...

Gonna zombie this thread, hopefully you guys can help. Car is a 96 850 T5 Wagon. Using my laptop (Win 7) and my Vag cable along with Vol Fcr I can't read the ECU. I CAN read the trans, instruments and a few other things. Just not the Mot 4.4. The fact I can read the other things makes me think its pbviously not the cable or fuse issues. Checked fuses anyway. Also tried changing Com settings like above. It will not establish Comms with the Mot 4.4... Only the other things..

Ideas? I have a CEL that I need gone/fixed asap so I can pass inspection..

Archived