Volvospeed Forums

Custom Carbon Fiber Ideas

T5Hammy

Really?after you tke out all the padding from it, it's pretty light weight, from a cost vs weight stand point, but it would look cool for sure

ever open up a trunk without the shocks attached?

Good luck, would be interesting to see a widebody

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know how all of these type of threads end...

I'd start with actually producing something for everyone to see then post a thread, but since you blew your load early, my only suggestion is to skip the hood, cheaper to buy and better quality than anything you can produce at home.

Not gonna lie, this is a very possible outcome, but I will have some trim/decorative crap if nothing else, but I'm working with a buddy who has major composites experience who may get flown in to at least get me some decent width to the fenders one way or another.

What do you mean "these type of threads", I feel so... stereotypical. :o And in the end I may meet your expectations!

At least I did research and have a thread thats not "check out my new pegs... Is my new stance cool...another item I bolted on that every member of VS already owns"

I have the a decent amount of knowledge on the subject and now I'll see if I have enough skill to pull it off, learn by trial and error, and then either have a sweet one off or I fail and at least I get to make you smile sunshine!

In before chuck sighs and facepalms himself

Your one of the few people I know who could actually do this, but you my friend might need to put in the flame suit lol

Facepalm expected.

Any time I post I put my flame suit on, plus worst case scenario I get a little ridicule and cry myself to sleep tonight haha! Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence!

Its gonna look stock. Roof makes the most sense the hard part is finding an oven large enough. I have done them with IR lamps at lower temps in a pinch but its not fun. Even semi-decent parts are going to require ovens.

Ya, ovens will be a problem, most likely I will make a fender or any body piece then end up adding reinforcement weighing more than the original fender. Really I want wider tires with a custom look, fiberglass may end up being the material I use once CF makes me angry.

Honestly I just wanna help expand the available body modification to MY car, if I end up having a product that others want at a price people will pay why not make a few more when I already have a mold. Maybe I end up with none of the parts I wanted, but find I can efficiently create a part that someone else wants.

I like the trunk idea, and If i was going for weight reduction a roof would be awesome, but not until I get more experience and decent equipment (pipe dream most likely). Interior pieces have a good chance since they will most likely be far easier to produce.

Honestly thanks for all the responses, I'm not gonna get butthurt if you think I wont succeed. I'd be just as skeptical of anyone on the other end of the interwebz saying what I'm saying.

Really?after you tke out all the padding from it, it's pretty light weight, from a cost vs weight stand point, but it would look cool for sure

ever open up a trunk without the shocks attached?

TY...I remember Serge posting one day almost getting split in half by a trunk with shot struts, they aren't light at all...

Emblems or at least emblem caps that could be affixed with epoxy over the existing emblems or something.

or

Door cups (the ones that always crack / where the door handles are

or

Cluster trim (around the gauges)

Or

intake funnel that fits in the lower grille for

For ease of producing and highest possible monetary gains ... interior cosmetics ... Sucks but it's the smart way.

Anything else is going to be huge amounts of time, labor, and overhead ... for ... little demand at the prices required to be worth it.

Besides, on street cars, CF is cosmetic. A $700 hood to save 10-15 lbs is NOT a performance mod worth the cost unless ... "Race Car" ...

Cheaper to take out the spare tire and tools then buy a AAA membership, lol - Cheap weight lose ;-)

For ease of producing and highest possible monetary gains ... interior cosmetics ... Sucks but it's the smart way.

Anything else is going to be huge amounts of time, labor, and overhead ... for ... little demand at the prices required to be worth it.

Besides, on street cars, CF is cosmetic. A $700 hood to save 10-15 lbs is NOT a performance mod worth the cost unless ... "Race Car" ...

Cheaper to take out the spare tire and tools then buy a AAA membership, lol - Cheap weight lose ;-)

Think more like 2000 not 700. But its also more like 50 pounds not 10. Granted 50lbs is only like a 3hp gain

Shhhhhhhhh...talking to the OP.

I'll make you a single ply peg tire combo, I will offer a lifetime warranty as long as they are never touched, used, or removed from the 7,000 yards of bubble wrap they will be shipped in, but for you my friend I offer a low one time price of 7 million euro's per wheel/tire combo cash upfront (sorry no refunds).

Emblems or at least emblem caps that could be affixed with epoxy over the existing emblems or something.

or

Door cups (the ones that always crack / where the door handles are

or

Cluster trim (around the gauges)

Or

intake funnel that fits in the lower grille for

I like all of those because I should actually be able to pull those off, and they are easy to ship and reproduce!

Agreed, I have little intention of mass production for any large parts, but if someone wants something bad enough, and can make it worth the time financially, maybe I will make a couple to a handful for those people.

Archived