Volvospeed Forums

Found A Source For Clear Headlight Lens For Early X70's

fasteddyT5

Looking good. Curious as to high beam performance with stock high beams through clear lense. Also curious as to your method for getting the projectors level and aligned.

They'll be useless spotlights blinding everyone and everything, hazardous and useless at the same time. They were not designed to be used without fluted glass. The only way to properly do this would be do a second projector in the high beam location, I forget who but another guy on here did that and it turned out pretty good.

They'll be useless spotlights blinding everyone and everything, hazardous and useless at the same time. They were not designed to be used without fluted glass. The only way to properly do this would be do a second projector in the high beam location, I forget who but another guy on here did that and it turned out pretty good.

How does a high-beam blind someone, if you should only be using them when others aren't around?

I currently have the stock high beams disabled, they threw an annoying light pattern in front of the car. The only downside is that you cannot flash your high beams when the headlights are off. I'm planning to shortly install a set of 4-chip leds from oznium into the stock bulb locations to as act as high beam flashers. This way when the high beams are on, they won't throw much light forward.

Also there really is no need for a second set pf bi-xenons, they throw plenty of light.

Also curious as to your method for getting the projectors level and aligned.

I followed this method from HIDplanet. It uses brackets and rise screws to control the rotational pitch of the projector.

DSC00627.jpg

The basic horizontal alignment is done by lining up the projector with the ridges on the bottom of the reflector to match the original angle of light output. Fine tuning is done with the headlights in the car with the stock adjusters.

The vertical alignment is done with a third screw connected to a nut epoxied onto the reflector. The screw is shown in the picture above on the upper left of the projector housing.

DSC00625.jpg

The nut is epoxied into the hole next to the bubble level at the 10 o'clock position from the big hole for the projector.

Ditto. I was actually more curious on the difference in output.

I my opinion they add nothing to the light output for two reason, first they are no longer aimed because the flutes are gone and second even if they did throw usable light it would take a lot time to get them aligned in conjunction with the projectors. The light output from the projectors so dominates the stock output that they are not worth keeping for the purposes of more light down the road.

In my case they just threw two very bright yellow spots above 15 feet in front of the car. Their only use in my setup is to act as high beam flashers for when the headlights are off, that is why i'm replacing them with leds for this function.

DSCN0016.jpg

Also there really is no need for a second set pf bi-xenons, they throw plenty of light.

I think he was referring to a halogen projector for the hi beam with the appropriate high beam pattern. But I like led solution.Many thanks for the details on the install. I've had this project half completed on my workbench for a really long time now.

Just got my eBay clear lenses today, they look top notch.

64c431b4.jpg

Going to be using this retrofit kit most likely, it should be plug-n-play with no housing modification necessary.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

I see no reason to buy anyone else's projector headlamps when a proper DIY HID retrofit can be done for $370 in an afternoon....including good quality bulbs, ballasts, etc.

Archived