Volvospeed Forums

Xr Bumper Mods

lookforjoe

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Now that I have an even larger FMIC....

... I'm thinking I should increase the centre opening up to the curve line... something like this (photoshopped)....double stacking the center grille...

XRbumperIII.jpg

The tricky part would be maintaining that crease line around the opening - it will look odd without it, IMO.

This is what it looks like now...

IMG_9484.jpg

I'll have to check, but I think this would entail cutting the bumper bar into two - which I'm not keen on.

Looks good how it is.

If you go for a bigger fmic then yeah go for it. I think it looks good either way.

And looks beautiful over all.

But I am still curious about what is going on here.

I do have a larger FMIC now...

XRFMIC0036.jpg

On the other thing, that is my secondary air intake - I have had two feeders into the custom CAI box. I had to remove it recently as I added a larger drain can for my breather system, and they sit in the same area behind the IC piping.

Guest luke_jones

I'll have to check, but I think this would entail cutting the bumper bar into two - which I'm not keen on.

Pretty sure you are right there. IMO it looks super clean the way you modded it the first time, I wouldn't change a thing.

Looks good either way, but if airflow is the main objective...go bigger :)

You would probably need to remove 3 sides of the aluminum bumper support, but you may be able to leave the 4th (top) side. That would at least hold everything together, and maybe give some (very little) impact protection.

I have the same intercooler as your old one (28x8x3.5), and the opening in my modified bumper comes right to the top edge of the intercooler. I still have 3" of my bumper support left. So cutting that 3" off and only leaving the top edge would put you where you need to be for the 3" taller intercooler.

Archived