Volvospeed Forums

Custom Carbon Fiber Ideas

T5Hammy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll make you a single ply peg tire combo, I will offer a lifetime warranty as long as they are never touched, used, or removed from the 7,000 yards of bubble wrap they will be shipped in, but for you my friend I offer a low one time price of 7 million euro's per wheel/tire combo cash upfront (sorry no refunds).

Will you throw in an R bumper? :lol:

Same way you replace the OEM one. I will see if I have pics of the S60 Sans roof. If not I know I have pics of BMWs with roofs off.

I was under the impression you weld it back on. I just read up on an Evo forum they used glue and rivits. That doesn't sound right to me...

I was under the impression you weld it back on. I just read up on an Evo forum they used glue and rivits. That doesn't sound right to me...

Yeah from what I've seen in the past, they drill out the spot welds, and just hand rivet it back in with adhesive. I've always kind of wanted to see how chuck did it, cause the jdm guys make it look sketchy as hell, but I old be missing something

Course after reading through AMS's tech facts, they state that the roof is stronger after replacing it with the cf one. So I guess it's just more of a perception thing. Weighed saved on a evo 8 was 7 pounds difference btw

Glue and rivets works fine. Hell GM just uses glue :lol:

I doubt you even need those. You end up with a decent build up of glass and mud anyways.

Course after reading through AMS's tech facts, they state that the roof is stronger after replacing it with the cf one. So I guess it's just more of a perception thing. Weighed saved on a evo 8 was 7 pounds difference btw

The thread I read said including the sunroof, it was 56 lbs.

Glue and rivets works fine. Hell GM just uses glue :lol:

I doubt you even need those. You end up with a decent build up of glass and mud anyways.

Really? Damn. Just seems like glue isn't near strong enough and rivets just make it janky...

Really? Damn. Just seems like glue isn't near strong enough and rivets just make it janky...

Half your car is rivits and spot welds.

I like all of those because I should actually be able to pull those off, and they are easy to ship and reproduce!

Soooo, does that mean..... never mind the question..... Make it happen!! :ph34r:

Now if you could do some 854 or 855 emblems, that would be awesome

The one I saw didn't have a sunroof to begin with. I can for sure see how some roofs would be pretty damn heavy though with sunroof parts in it

I make carbon fiber part's for everything from volvos to lambos. carbon is definatly very tricky to get it to look good and last. i cant imagine doing it with out a spary booth some heat or some good way to vacuum bag. the end result realy comes down to the quality of the composites used epoxy, clear coat, sealer etc, the teqnique and the actual skill and care of the person making the piece's. im sure lots of you have seen the carbon fiber on some ricey acura or honda and it looks yellow in the sun thats because the sealer is failing and it turning yellow from the heat of the engine and the sun. the weave or the pattern that the carbon fiber makes also tends to look very bad and the lines tend to curve and are not perfectly parallel. the reason is the parts tend to be mass produced at a cheap price 500$ or less and sold on flebay or some ricer website. they use really cheap composites to turn a profit, and that causes the yellowing, fading, and chipping and ther is really no attention to detail that goes into each individual piece. the clear me and my boss use is 400$ a gallon we use only the best materials and composites and each piece is individualy wraped or molded and then goes threw a 10 step process to finish product. the finished pieces are beautiful the clear looks thick and perfectly smooth while the weave is perfectly straight. its nice someone started a thread about this i was in the process doing it im glad to see what you guys are looking for and plan on doing a production run of some volvo parts. bigger parts hoods bumpers will be on a made to order basis and smaller pieces mirrors shift knobs etc will be on the shelf ready to go. we are in the process of moving but i will post some pics on here. i will be offering the first run of carbon parts in the early spring. ther will be different weaves to choose from along with different thread counts and colors. thanks

I was just playing around in VADIS last night, and came across how to take off the roof in a 98 V70, and they want you cutting it out and welding it back in for reinstallation, not glue/rivets.

I make carbon fiber part's for everything from volvos to lambos. carbon is definatly very tricky to get it to look good and last. i cant imagine doing it with out a spary booth some heat or some good way to vacuum bag. the end result realy comes down to the quality of the composites used epoxy, clear coat, sealer etc, the teqnique and the actual skill and care of the person making the piece's. im sure lots of you have seen the carbon fiber on some ricey acura or honda and it looks yellow in the sun thats because the sealer is failing and it turning yellow from the heat of the engine and the sun. the weave or the pattern that the carbon fiber makes also tends to look very bad and the lines tend to curve and are not perfectly parallel. the reason is the parts tend to be mass produced at a cheap price 500$ or less and sold on flebay or some ricer website. they use really cheap composites to turn a profit, and that causes the yellowing, fading, and chipping and ther is really no attention to detail that goes into each individual piece. the clear me and my boss use is 400$ a gallon we use only the best materials and composites and each piece is individualy wraped or molded and then goes threw a 10 step process to finish product. the finished pieces are beautiful the clear looks thick and perfectly smooth while the weave is perfectly straight. its nice someone started a thread about this i was in the process doing it im glad to see what you guys are looking for and plan on doing a production run of some volvo parts. bigger parts hoods bumpers will be on a made to order basis and smaller pieces mirrors shift knobs etc will be on the shelf ready to go. we are in the process of moving but i will post some pics on here. i will be offering the first run of carbon parts in the early spring. ther will be different weaves to choose from along with different thread counts and colors. thanks

Glad I could be so helpful. Thanks for the tips, I intend on constructing a large vacuum bag set up, and building a small spray booth as well, but ovens or large heat sources are way outta my budget for now. And for the parts I make for myself they will be painted or vinyl covered so I dont care how the weave or clear looks (I can save a ton of money by making these parts functional and sturdy, instead of paying for a company, who wants the weave and resin to be show quality, to make it for me) , on smaller pieces I would use the high end resin, clear, and straighten the weaves.

I was just playing around in VADIS last night, and came across how to take off the roof in a 98 V70, and they want you cutting it out and welding it back in for reinstallation, not glue/rivets.

how do you suggest to WELD graphite?

Archived