Volvospeed Forums

Would This Help Aerodynamics?

volflo

...i am not a big fan of the oem roof spoiler. So i thought to keep the clean shape of the rear and at the same time reduce turbulence by using this.

What Do you think? Will be good for air flow?

Normally any round shaped tail (Keep the TT in mind!) induces upforce, so i thought the edge of the M5 shaped lip would help.

Good idea?

Even a little spoiler on the back needs an e-code?? :blink: wow

Anyway, do you think you will need more downforce at the back Florian? You said the round edge creates uplift so I'm guessing you want to avoid that...but I seem to remember that you were complaining about too much understeer with all the weight reduction in the back, so oversteer wasnt any problem for sure...i dont think it would be necessary to add anything to your car as is....i'd try it out at the Ring first and see how it handles, then if it "needs" anything at least you know more specifically what you need

maybe you could try some "fins" at the back like the EVO FQ 400 (UK only) lol

So i thought to keep the clean shape of the rear and at the same time reduce turbulence

Adding the lip on the back will increase turbulence, not decrease it. Making more downforce also creates more drag...it's the name of the game. If you want less air turbulence over the car, leave it stock. I can't imagine that little lip would actually make a lot of extra downforce anyway. If the rear decklid was as round as say, Audi's, then it would probably help. Volvo's are pretty square to begin with so this little lip probably wouldn't make for a huge gain in downforce.

That said, i think it would look pretty good.

So i thought to keep the clean shape of the rear and at the same time reduce turbulence

I would agree that a small lip spoiler such as this would actually create more turbulence as it directs the air up.

You may not like the factory spoiler but if you look at it you will see that it has an opening in the middle that directs the air downwards under the spoiler to help control the air flow. I'm not saying that it creates a bunch of downforce but merely that it creates a cleaner flow of air than the lip spoiler you were proposing.

JC

Archived