Volvospeed Forums

Ac Delco Boost Solenoid Installed

db130

Got my inspiration from this thread:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...98179&st=20

Delco pigtail soldered onto pigtail for the Volvo TCV harness:

2683691679_94a95ae099_b.jpg

Silver port on the Delco solenoid goes to the turbo(red dot on hose), filtered port(remove the filter first) goes to the intake(blue dot on hose), and the other black port goes to the wastegate(yellow dot on hose)

A grommet has been added to the Delco bracket for silent operation:

2683691961_c607bb39ee_b.jpg

Getting mounted to the side of the factory airbox using a pre-existing screw hole:

2683692131_220d734d03_b.jpg

I will probably find a piece of automotive-grade split tube looming to make my DIY harness more OEM, but I don't think the Delco solenoid looks too out of place.

Results? Well, I think my TCV was dead when I bought the car back in March, and I could not get boost to come on unless I was really had a heavy foot on the gas. With the Delco solenoid, I now get boost at 1/2 throttle or less!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome mod! I've been thinking of doing the same after reading about this over at TB. Cheap enough project to give it a try. Thanks for testing it out in an 850 and sharing your results.

someone needs to visit www.stylinmotors.com ;)

Intresting idea thou, did you notice a huge difference or was the last one just dead so anything is better then a dead one type deal ?

LOL I hear you on the hoses that need to go. I'm afraid that the last one was deader than dead. However, I bought a 2nd Delco solenoid for the '98 S70 T5 whose boost solenoid is working currently. I will check to see if there is an improvement on the T5. I have to wait a week to go to the junkyard to grab a Delco pigtail though, I refuse to pay $15+ for that pigtail.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (prasamin @ Jul 20 2008, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&amp;pid=1339380"></a></div><div class='quotemain'>if your BCS is working, why would you do this?  is it an upgrade?</div><br /><br />Supposedly the factory Volvo solenoid is slow and not all that accurate.  And apparently not known for longevity either?  The Delco solenoid is considered to be a &quot;high-speed&quot; solenoid and cheap to boot.  All kinds of Turbo dudes run this solenoid: WRX/Evo/SRT4/etc etc<br /><br /><a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&amp;client=firefox-a&amp;rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3a%6ffficial&amp;q=gm+boost+solenoid&amp;start=0&amp;sa=N" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">A Quick Google hit</a><br /><br />The Delco solenoid is supposed to react faster

yeah I've still not totally understood what the point of these are unless the factory one just sucks at introducing boost or something?

I think that is what he is saying maybe this is a cheaper version of what IPD is selling ?

I am intrested I need to change out the MBC since i am overboosting all the time :lol:

And what happens to the other two hoses?

not sure what you mean by the other two hoses? the stock BCS has 3 hoses hooked up to it, and the delco solenoid is a 3 port solenoid:

"Silver port on the Delco solenoid goes to the turbo(red dot on hose), filtered port(remove the filter first) goes to the intake(blue dot on hose), and the other black port goes to the wastegate(yellow dot on hose)."

another volvo discussion

Very interesting. Nice job!

Did you have to add the resister that this article (Linky) refers to in pigtail? Or does that only apply to the Subaru installation?

I did not have to use the resistor.

Archived