Volvospeed Forums

Ipod Connection For 2000 S80

Chexjc

I imagine this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer by searching.

I have a 2000 S80 T6 and I'm looking for a method of hooking my iPod directly into the (stock) car stereo.

Thanks,

Jason.

Anyone?

I just stopped by the audio store and the guy told me it wasn't possible without changing the head unit.

Thanks for that. I ordered the usa spec interface from crutchfield, although i'm not confident it's going to work (crutchfield has free shipping and a 30 day return policy).

My 2000 S80 has the 4-disc changer in the hu-801. Can anyone assure that this setup will work? My concern is that the usa spec interface operates on the 5cd and 6cd channels, which my 4-disc changer doesn't have :/.

Thanks for that. I ordered the usa spec interface from crutchfield, although i'm not confident it's going to work (crutchfield has free shipping and a 30 day return policy).

My 2000 S80 has the 4-disc changer in the hu-801. Can anyone assure that this setup will work? My concern is that the usa spec interface operates on the 5cd and 6cd channels, which my 4-disc changer doesn't have :/.

call IPD, if you have a changer button it most likely will work. They can tell you specifically by OEM HU model number.

The description for the USA-Spec adapter is not referring to the indash cd-player, but the 5th and 6th disc for an optional external cd-changer.

Oh, so does that mean the USA Spec device is like a cd changer in that sense? In otherwords, the car will register the 5th and 6th disc spots?

So I got it in the mail today...and it works! :D

Having never done or watched any radio installs..i'm quite proud of myself haha. The install took me about 35 mins, a trip to Radioshack, and two product support calls.

So for the record: the USA SPEC Ipod Volvo Interface works exactly as described on a 2000 Volvo S80 with HU-801.

Some tips for anyone who has a go at this with no idea - like I did:

This website helped me figure out how to remove the radio:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalVolvoS80.htm

The RED wire is the power. Connect the Yellow wire of the interface to the RED wire going into the radio.

The Brown wire is the ground. Connect the Black wire of the interface to the brown wire going into the radio. I used wire tapping quick connects to do these two steps.

I removed a single panel that runs on the bottom right of the center console to run the chord from the radio into the glove box and into the device. Then out of the device, back in the same way, and out underneath that bottom panel.

I'm going to pick up one of those ipod vent mounts one of these days..then I'll post pictures.

In the end, it was quite simple and the quality is BEAUTIFUL. Bye bye FM transmittor!

I have to thank everyone for theier help and crutchfield for the great shipping, packaging, and product support.

-Jason

USASpec from IPD, I have one in my S80, love it, and will never go back.

Thread Done!

PS. I read more and have more answers.

When you plug in the iPod adapter, it acts as a CD Changer, and you tune the stereo to CD Changer (opposed to FM Radio, AM Radio, CD etc...) and then it shows the 6th disc, steering wheel controls work, as do the ones on the radio as long as you have the box setup the right way, 1 off 2 on? there are two switches, read the instructions and you'll see it)

USASpec from IPD, I have one in my S80, love it, and will never go back.

Thread Done!

PS. I read more and have more answers.

When you plug in the iPod adapter, it acts as a CD Changer, and you tune the stereo to CD Changer (opposed to FM Radio, AM Radio, CD etc...) and then it shows the 6th disc, steering wheel controls work, as do the ones on the radio as long as you have the box setup the right way, 1 off 2 on? there are two switches, read the instructions and you'll see it)

Thanks for clearing that up.

I have my switches set to 1 - on (which leaves the auxilliary input off) and 2 - off (which puts the interface in direct mode). I don't really understand why you would want to use the ipod in "hybrid mode."

Hopefully this thread will help the next person who is reluctant to make this installation..because most sources say it "won't work" ;).

Hybrid mode would be for people that do a hide away install such as the glove box or center console. Making playlists to access your music instead of using the ipod controls directly. Glad the install went well for you.

Hybrid mode would be for people that do a hide away install such as the glove box or center console. Making playlists to access your music instead of using the ipod controls directly. Glad the install went well for you.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

hmm, can the hu-611 also use an ipod dongle?

Archived