Volvospeed Forums

Brake Problem Due To Calipar Holder Manufacturing Defect

howardc64

I was totally amazed when I figured out this problem on my car. Wondering if anyone else has seen it.

Have an 04/2000 build V70 T5 (I guess I got all the bugs :)), and during my last rear brake pad change (95k mi), the driver side outer pad wore much quicker than the other 3 pad surfaces. (Previous rear pads done at dealer at 67k) I didn't think anything of it at the time and put a new set on (Mintex). Now at 110k, I can see the same wear pattern along with some intermittent squeal (not braking action related, rather when car shift side to side), so I thought the caliper may need rebuilding and started disassembling stuff.

What I found blew me away. Basically, that high wear outer pad was jammed against the caliper holder slot where it suppose to glide in. I had to use a hammer to lightly tap it loose.

Comparing my new pads which would also not fit in there without jamming against it. I decided to get the micrometer out and check both sides. Here is what I found

Outer pad backing length = 124mm

The holder that has no problem has a 125mm gap

The holder that has problem has just a touch less than 124mm

The holder is clearly forged but then the surface where the pad backing engages is machined smooth. I guess the guy doing the machining was still figuring out the spec on my 04/2000 build!

So I could get a new holder, file my old holder to 125mm or file down the pad backing (of course the next owner would never know this problem and prob encounter it again)

Anyone seen this kind of problem? Any thoughts on which repair path is best?

Archived