Volvospeed Forums

Dumbest Car Related Thing You Have Done

Oreo931

I saw a thread like this on T-bricks and thought it could be a good thread here...

So, what are some of the dumbest car related things you have done? I will list a few.

-Put thermostat gasket on incorrectly and freaked myself out that I my water pump was leaking

-Destroyed a working transmission by bolting on the torque converter wrong

-Broke a transmission mount when I was pulling my engine out after Justin specifically told me that I needed to unbolt it or else it would break

This one is really bad....

-Replaced my axle and forgot to tighten the lug bolts on the wheel...Took it for a test drive and realized what I had done after the car was shaking and wobbling

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

Broke three tranny mounts - IPD must love me just for that

worked on adams car :P

put in delta links backwards , worst is I had a rear end out of another and spet 20 min to make sure I put them in right and stil went in backwards.

changed timing belt and forgot to pull pin for tensionar and couldnt figure out why the belt was loose till my brother pointed it out <_<

but right before that pulled pin and tried to put the timming belt on :rolleyes:

drove car for a week with just DP and nothing else - never doing that again way to noisey

dumped tranny fluid in car and forgot to put both axles in :lol:

thats all I can think of over the last 10+ years

Drove my roommate's SUV off a mountain road, down a REALLY steep embankment and into a fence in college. Cost me over $1,000 to get it fixed (for paint, I did the bodywork), he forked out $500 (I was driving it back for him, he was following me on his road bike).

I am careful to the point of being anal when I work on cars, I am very fortunate to not have had a mishaps when working on them.

but yea, i haven't really done any stupid things with the mustang. in my old 245+T i was cleaning up the front area of the interior and when i finished to go to work i tried to start the car it wouldn't crank. i practically tore that car apart. i put it all back together and sat in the driver seat to try to calm down before i lugged the bike out of the shed and realized i moved the shifter to the D position hence the not starting up part

QUOTE (matt b @ Aug 19 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the Mustang ? Fo' shame, but at least it's a great looking car.

yea. thanks!

On my Maxima (because they're uber fail, lol):

- Put the MAF in in the wrong section on my CAI and almost, ALMOST brought the car to my Indy thinking it was broken.

- Didn't calibrate the boost correctly when we supercharged it and almost blew it to holy hell.

On the Volvo:

- "Forgot" how to remove an H3 bulb.

put the a 12volt outlet in the trunk but didnt measure with the seat up.....

let my dad drive the 745GLE when the timing belt near the end of its life. needless to say, i was in the bmw with a tow truck behind me going to philly to get the car....

out the 250k at the time 855 on the dyno.

Put a couple of the exhaust gaskets on backwards when I first put my 60 trim on...had to drive it to Gainesville from Fort Lauderdale that way :(

Archived