Volvospeed Forums

Removing Fuel Tank

turbomoose

Of course, just to be "safe" disconnect the battery. And no smoking. And do it in a well ventilated area.

If you break something, or kill yourself, of course, that's not my fault.

1997 850 T5 Sedan 158K :arob:

Tools needed:

DSC00300.jpg

Jack rear end of car up, place on secure jack stands:

DSC00302.jpg

Remove the trunk carpet and plastic thing the carpet mounts on top of, set aside:

DSC00303.jpg

Remove the two covers for the fuel pump and fuel level sender:

DSC00304.jpg

Disconnect the fuel pump, ABS sensors, Fuel level sender, and pressure sensors:

DSC00308.jpg

The fuel tank is secured to the car by 3 bolts:

Middle rear of the tank:

DSC00309.jpg

Right Front of the tank:

DSC00312.jpg

Left rear of the tank near exhaust pipe:

DSC00316.jpg

There is a circlip of sorts that needs to be removed from the fuel filler:

DSC00313.jpg

Removed:

DSC00314.jpg

Push the rubber surrounding the filler neck into the quarter panel:

DSC00315.jpg

Place a high lift large enough floor jack under the middle of the tank to support it while you lower:

DSC00319.jpg

Lower slowly:

DSC00320.jpg

oh yeah... if you're working on rough concrete, it helps to toss an old picnic blanket down first. This is much better to use than the trunk floor, since you can EASILY wash the blanket.

Continue to lower slowly:

DSC00323.jpg

Further push the fuel filler neck into the quarter panel:

DSC00322.jpg

Lift tank off of floor jack and remove the fuel lines, noting which line goes to which port. There's also one vent line:

DSC00326.jpg

This is the weepy mess:

DSC00327.jpg

I believe my leak was from the fuel level sender. But then the hose clamps were lose too.

CLEANED:

DSC00329.jpg

Epoxied these two connections just for funsies:

DSC00331.jpg

Replaced:

DSC00336.jpg

All done:

DSC00335.jpg

:D

It wasn't difficult to do at all, and now, hopefully I'll be able to fill it up FULL and not have a stinky garage. We'll find out in a few hours once I go fill 'er up!

It's been a few hours now, ...and my small garage has no gas smell at all! WOOHOO!! Within minutes I could smell gas after a fill up.

I think the gas station pump may be screwing people. I filled up with 18.1 gallons of premium :blink: Which may be possible. My INFO computer thing said 10 miles till empty.

I'm averaging 24.5 MPG. 445 Miles I drove on the last tank but I did a LOT of idling.

dude, i really hope you replaced that rubber hose there....that was the culprit in my fuel leak...couldn't fill up all the way either.

Nope, I removed it when I did the epoxy on the blue fitting and checked it out well, and it was in great shape. I know that hose has been an issue to some, but mine was leaking, or rather still leaks from the sender and pump gaskets. They're being ordered. So Im going to do a fuel pump write up when I replace the gaskets.

It's been a few hours now, ...and my small garage has no gas smell at all! WOOHOO!! Within minutes I could smell gas after a fill up.

I think the gas station pump may be screwing people. I filled up with 18.1 gallons of premium :blink: Which may be possible. My INFO computer thing said 10 miles till empty.

I'm averaging 24.5 MPG. 445 Miles I drove on the last tank but I did a LOT of idling.

19.3 gal capacity

Very nice write-up you've made there.

Archived