Volvospeed Forums

The Xc Is Sick

PaperToast

i was hoping not have to post this but i need more input. so here it goes.

i was working last Wednesday and took a back route to my destination.

along the way theres a hill that offers some good butterflies if one goes fast enough. :D

so i pushed the speed to around 85ish and went over said hill.

when the car went over to the other side and i started to slow down, it was shaking horribly, ie, the whole car was shaking. :(

i didn't bottom it out or jump it for those wondering.

anyway what i know isn't the culprit are the following:

struts and assorted parts, control arms, tie rods, front axles, engine mounts, harmonic balancer.

what the guys at Swedish think it might be:

prop shaft, wheel and/or tire.

as of about 4 this afternoon they were going to pull the driveshaft and see if it is causing the vibration due to becoming unbalanced somehow.

they were also going to try rotating the tires and mounting some different ones to see what happens with those.

what do yall think? scrap it out and get another? the xc has a gremlin? it's cursed?

any input would be helpful

Angle gear , Prop Shaft , VC coupling on of the three

I have a spare AG for early VIN 98s

thats what they were thinking too.

but it doesn't make sense because those were working just fine.

and theres no noise coming from any of those that would indicate a failure.

thx for the idea

keep em coming

they all die at random times and there is no ryhme or reason ether to it .

I woudl stick with the drive shaft espcially if the whole car is shaking

or maybe a busted boot

thats the thing that doesnt make sense.

i replaced the shaft about 6 weeks ago with a rebuilt, balanced one from Colorado driveshafts.

i did crawl under there to look at the front cv on the shaft and it looked fine.

from what ive read when the angle gear goes, theres horrible noise to let you know, yes?

hopefully (fingers crossed) maybe its just the shaft out of balance randomly.

hmm that shop is excellent, went their when I was at CU. Who are you dealing with? David or everybody?

My new driveshaft had the weight 180 degrees off <_< caused a whole car vibration at certain speeds. What I don't get is how it could have been damaged.

Need an XC? :lol: I have that same car up for sale except all stock

Tire sounds like a good possibility - the "butterfly" lifts may have just finished one off... seems unlikely that your brand new driveshaft would be bad,but a locked CV would cause what you're describing - and the VC or Bevel Gear don't usually cause a vibration so much as a racket/whine/clunking

Shifted belt in rear tire??

good call. the guys there were going to try some different tires to see if that was the cause

hmm that shop is excellent, went their when I was at CU. Who are you dealing with? David or everybody?

My new driveshaft had the weight 180 degrees off <_< caused a whole car vibration at certain speeds. What I don't get is how it could have been damaged.

Need an XC? :lol: I have that same car up for sale except all stock

they are pretty good. I'm pretty much dealing with Marshall and Andrew

your thing with the driveshaft is a possibilty. i'll make sure and swing that idea pass them if they havent tried that already

Tire sounds like a good possibility - the "butterfly" lifts may have just finished one off... seems unlikely that your brand new driveshaft would be bad,but a locked CV would cause what you're describing - and the VC or Bevel Gear don't usually cause a vibration so much as a racket/whine/clunking

locked cv <_< . hmmmm my new shaft has new cv joints on both ends though :wacko:

i will mention that to them too and see what they think.

thx for all the ideas yall.

hopefully tomorow i can get the xc back.

in the meantime the loaner car they let me drive is a late 80's 740 i think, 5 speed with turbo B)

so thats been fun doin some 5 on the floor rear wheel action again with studded snows :D

update: got off the phone with the guys at Swedish and the solution to the problem isn't what we thought here.

the driver side axle was seized somehow, causing the vibration.

he said it took them an hour +/- to get it out.

so its all better now except for the tires which need to be changed (already knew that ;) )

the next question is how could that axle have seized so we can prevent that from happening in the future?

Archived