Volvospeed Forums

(2) Turbos - Same Weird Noise

samadkins29

Hey, so here is the complete story. My 98 s70 GLT had 208K miles on it when it started making this flutter noise every time I let off the gas. I was very sure my turbo had finally bitten the dust as I had put in a mbc and was running 13 psi two weeks prior to the noise. Once the noise started the psi never really went above 9. So I went and bought a used 16t(had some shaft play) That turbo made the same noise and once again never really went above 9psi even with the MBC unhooked.

HERE is a video of the noise: ITS NOT MY CAR- THIS GUYS TURBO IS MAKING THE SAME NOISE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v40jLAJx314

When he lets off the gas you will hear a fluttering noise. That is the noise I got with both turbos. Both turbos had shaft play so I assumed that it was the compressor wheel hitting the side when I let off the gas. His cure was the intake manifold gasket was broken, could that be the cause of my problems? Thoughts?

I also checked the cbv on my original 13g, only to find it looked new with no cracks or tears. The cbv was my second thought of what could be making the noise. On a minor note my 16t is leaking oil, I dont think its connected with the noise. Anyways this is driving me nuts, I have to listen to music every time I get into my car because i dont want to hear that noise, lol

My 13g was making the same noise, but when I checked the CBV, it was spotless. Everything was perfect on it. Also that vid you linked, is not as close to the sound as the one I linked. I will pull the cbv off my 16t, but I dont think its the bottom cause of the noise. Other notes are both turbos held the exact same psi.

My 13g was making the same noise, but when I checked the CBV, it was spotless. Everything was perfect on it. Also that vid you linked, is not as close to the sound as the one I linked. I will pull the cbv off my 16t, but I dont think its the bottom cause of the noise. Other notes are both turbos held the exact same psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUbo_mNDZM...feature=related it's all the same. smashining between throttle plate and turbo.

it can still be a pin-hole that causes the problem. or the cbv isn't sealing correctly.

Mine started that sound immediately after I spiked it up to 18 psi to pass an infinity on the ride in this am...fortunately, I should have a box from UPS on my doorstep when I get home because I knew my CBV was going to go soon w 275000+ on the factory one B)

The only other thing is that it makes the noise even if I am not in boost. I guess ill order the cbv kit. Also hat would I look for on the cbv vac line?

it doesn't have to be in boost to create pressure to bleed off. my blow off valve would blow enough air to make sound at 10inHg if I let off.

first, checked that the CBV line is attached. 2nd, inspect it/replace it. it might have leaks in the line as it's aged over the years.

my only concern is that I will go and spend $100 on a new cbv, only to find out that that is not the problem. Although 99% of you are saying it is the cbv. How could two turbos be making the exact same noise? With the exact same psi? One turbo had 208K and the other only had 67k. The one with 208k was fine since I bought the car with 204K and for 4k is dint make any noise at all. Not to mention the cbv from the 13g is spotless. I understand that the cbv could very well be the problem, but what are some other things that could cause the noise? I checked the hose to the cbv and it seems fine.

If you put a vaccum gauge on the CBV & suck it down, it should hold full vaccum for some time; If it does not, it's bad. You may not see a hole in it, since it is layered, it can leak through from one side to the other in a different spot.

One way to test this is to remove the CBV assembly, suck it down with vacuum gauge (this will hold the diaphragm against the housing) & dunk the whole thing in a bucket of water. When I did this, I found my leak - visually the diaphragm looked OK.

Sounds like compressor surge, which is not a good thing.

You can also have an external CBV leak - between the diaphragm & the turbo; with the cbv off, clean the mating surface with scotchpad - in a circular motion.

V70pressureTest0007.jpg

Archived