Volvospeed Forums

New Timing Belt And Rollers - Belt Now Sits Slightly Off Camshaft

wheelsup

Hi guys I've been posting this on various forums, to try to get as much info as possible. Anyway I finally got my timing belt onto my car, I replaced all the rollers, tensioner, etc. and everything runs fine on the car. I figured out switching the sleve on the tensioner roller in order to make it "swivel", that was no sweat, and everything else appears as though it is operating normally.

However what happens now is the belt sits about 1/8"-1/4" of an inch off the rollers and camshafts and rubs the timing belt plastic cover slightly in a 6" section on the left side (facing the engine). This wasn't like this before. Has anyone else experienced this? I can't for the life of me figure out where I messed up in the process, the only thing I can think of is to push the belt further toward the engine on the crankshaft. It's sitting on the outside edge right now, close to where the timing mark is. I tried pushing the belt back onto the camshafts and rollers but it just works its' way back off ever so slightly.

Any ideas? I'm going nuts!!! I thought I had this thing figured out...I drove it to work today but am trying to go easy on it, it can't be good for the belt.

what kind of car do you have? that's not normal at all if it's rubbing.

Hmm interesting, that could be, although I was thinking it just slipped into the metal area where the previous one came from? How did the plastic cover move there?

Any ideas on searching for it? That would be a neat thread to get a look at.

Funny how this problem is rare, yet occurs to me :D

Couple of thoughts. firdt check to be sure this is normal.

1. Maybe the TB cover was not fit properly? Best is try to get a friend with the same 850 or S-V70 car, remove the TB cover, run the engine and see where the TB is supposed to be with respect to the Cam pulley.

2. The 2 rollers and the cam pulleys have NO side edges to keep the TB aligned. The ONLY 2 parts that keep the TB properly aligned (i.e. straightness) are:

- Crank Sprocket

- Water Pump Pulley

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt3.php

Are you sure your WP is OK, i.e., no excessive play at your mileage of 145K miles?

Was your WP ever changed?

Couple of thoughts. firdt check to be sure this is normal.

1. Maybe the TB cover was not fit properly? Best is try to get a friend with the same 850 or S-V70 car, remove the TB cover, run the engine and see where the TB is supposed to be with respect to the Cam pulley.

2. The 2 rollers and the cam pulleys have NO side edges to keep the TB aligned. The ONLY 2 parts that keep the TB properly aligned (i.e. straightness) are:

- Crank Sprocket

- Water Pump Pulley

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt3.php

Are you sure your WP is OK, i.e., no excessive play at your mileage of 145K miles?

Was your WP ever changed?

I replaced the water pump during this repair with the FCP kit (HEPU I believe). It doesn't leak after doing test runs. Should I push the belt further into the crank sprocket? It sits on the edge near the timing mark now. Thoughts?

Just wanted to say yes the cover is on correctly, the belt over hangs the camshafts and every other pulley including the waterpump by about 1/8" to 1/4". So the belt has "shifted" slightly toward the outside of the engine.

A question - when taking the tensioner off can I remove the two bolts and just pull it out? Then compress and re-install? Or do I need to remove the tensioner idler first (ie take the T45 out!!). God I hope not.

Also, did you release the pin holding the Hydraulic Tensioner? I know this sounds funny (how could you forget), but if one forgets to release the drill bit holding the tensioner, there is NOT enough tension to tighten the TB, therefore it slides sideway!

Also, did you release the pin holding the Hydraulic Tensioner? I know this sounds funny (how could you forget), but if one forgets to release the drill bit holding the tensioner, there is NOT enough tension to tighten the TB, therefore it slides sideway!

Yes I pulled the pin, the engine runs fine, and there is tension on the rollers.

LOL OK I will resurrect this thread when I get back home in a few days and take pictures :). Here's to hoping for a quick fix!!! (fingers crossed).

:lol: pics and I think I am right its really easy to get the plastic cover underthere and if you tighten it down it can be so little you wont notice it

:lol: pics and I think I am right its really easy to get the plastic cover underthere and if you tighten it down it can be so little you wont notice it

I'm pretty sure it was MikeG who had this same problem recently. The tensioner was cocked on the plastic cover just you said Justin. Better chase that puppy down before it goes POW :(

Archived