Volvospeed Forums

Lower Steering U-Joint

Ali

Not familiar with the term 'steering joint'. Do you mean outer tie rod end, ball joint or steering rack? If you mean steering rack, then you do. For the other two, you don't.

I meant the lower steering shaft with the universal joint connecting from the steering column to the steering rack.

This is alot of work so make sure your diagnosis is correct! What is your mileage or symptoms?

1. If squeaky during steering, the problem is usually the dried grease at the bottom of the steering column.

Bay 13 has procedure to grease it, basically 10 min job, very easy from the cabin.

2. Now if you determine that your lower U-joints (the joints just above the steering rack input shaft) are bad (hold one side while rock back and forth the other side), then here is the procedure for replacing:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/8...teeringRack.pdf

HTH

This is alot of work so make sure your diagnosis is correct! What is your mileage or symptoms?

1. If squeaky during steering, the problem is usually the dried grease at the bottom of the steering column.

Bay 13 has procedure to grease it, basically 10 min job, very easy from the cabin.

2. Now if you determine that your lower U-joints (the joints just above the steering rack input shaft) are bad (hold one side while rock back and forth the other side), then here is the procedure for replacing:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/8...teeringRack.pdf

HTH

symptoms are that there is a click feel/sound that comes from the steering wheel sometimes when starting to turn the wheel, and sometimes when coming to a stop. I can duplicate the sound if I were to rock the steering back and forth when it is centred. The sound is coming from the bottom of the steering shaft or maybe from under the boot where the shaft goes through the firewall.

I have checked the ball joints, tie rods, stabilizer links and all are good since they were replaced less than 3 months ago.

The car has about 170k miles on it.

If it does turn out to be the joint, is it easier to replace it by taking out the steering wheel? Im really not looking forward to lowering the subframe to do this. Or, how much would a reasonable shop charge to replace this? Im in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention, there is no whining, squeeking or weird sounds coming from the steering besides the click sound/feel.

The Steering U-joint is rarely, rarely worn out. It typically lasts well over 300K.

This is because there is very limited movement of the U-joint itself by steering (unlike the Drive Axle U joints which work much harder).

Anyway, MAKE SURE your diagnosis is correct.

Grab the LOWER end of the steering shaft (just above the U-joint) and the Steering Pinion end and rock back and forth for any play.

Another technique is get a 2nd person to rock the steering wheel back and forth while you hold the steering pinion solid with a pair of pliers/or adjustable wrench.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/power_steering.pdf

Anyway, Step #7 shows you how to replace the U joint:

- Spray the are with WD-40 or so.

- Loosen the 2 bolts (13 mm) holding the steering shaft and steering pinion.

- Strike the U joint upward to get it off the pinion.

- Once it is off the pinion, strike it downward to remove it.

HTH.

The Steering U-joint is rarely, rarely worn out. It typically lasts well over 300K.

This is because there is very limited movement of the U-joint itself by steering (unlike the Drive Axle U joints which work much harder).

Anyway, MAKE SURE your diagnosis is correct.

Grab the LOWER end of the steering shaft (just above the U-joint) and the Steering Pinion end and rock back and forth for any play.

Another technique is get a 2nd person to rock the steering wheel back and forth while you hold the steering pinion solid with a pair of pliers/or adjustable wrench.

I had someone at work rock the steering wheel back and forth while I inspected the u-joint visually since I could not actually reach the joint by hand at the time, and it seems to be fine with no play. However the clicking sound and the occasional thump is there. I also placed my hand on the tire while he was rocking the steering wheel that I could feel the click click feeling in the tires on both sides but the sound seemed to come more from the driver's side of the car

The thump feeling in the steering comes usually when the car starts to move or when coming to a stop and sometimes when turning. The only other thing I can think of is that one of the CV joints is making the noise/thump sound, because I also noticed that recently the steering wheel shakes very slighly upon slow acceleration even though the tires are good. The CV boot are intact though! And can a bad cv joint be felt all the way to the steering wheel?

Thanks guys!

I have checked the ball joints, tie rods, stabilizer links and all are good since they were replaced less than 3 months ago.

The car has about 170k miles on it.

Which brand did you use for the above parts?

Don't tell me it is Scan-Tech!

Which brand did you use for the above parts?

Don't tell me it is Scan-Tech!

I am not sure what brand the inner and outer tie rods are. Unfortunately they are the cheaper ones on Fcp. The control arms and the stabilizer links however, are Volvo Brand. Are you suggesting the the inner or outer tie rods are making the sound even though there is no play?

Thanks

Archived