Volvospeed Forums

Mini Project: Mirror Cover Gauge Pod

Dan A

I wanted something a little different and slightly more discreet than an a-pillar pod and the spot where the mirror cover is seemed like a good spot. Wiring would be easy to tap in to and you wouldn't even have to go through the firewall for the boost line. (Later I saw that there was a CF pod that you could buy but I'm not a huge fan of CF in the interior and it was big $$ anyways. More than I wanted to spend.)

I have a cheap JDM boost gauge needing a home. Standard size 52mm. Went to the local hardware megastore to see what I could find in ABS. Found that 2" ABS pipe is the ticket. Gauge fits *very* snug inside. Bought 5' (minimum length I could buy there) for about $3.

dscf3945yx0.jpg

I have this ABS epoxy stuff that I bought a while back because I am also planning a computer install where the radio is. I used that to basically glue and shape the pipe to the mirror cover (also ABS, by the way). Here's the epoxy (although I got mine on ebay): http://www.toolrage.com/prodView.asp?sku=BND-660 . The great thing about this stuff is that is basically liquid ABS. You can sand and shape it and it bonds well to most any plastic, plus it maintains the same type of properties as the plastic you are bonding it to. So it expands and contracts with the mirror cover and shouldn't crack down the line like bondo likely would.

I cut off a few inches of the pipe and cut the basic angles so that the guage is angled correctly to the driver.

dscf3948fo8.jpg

Then I sanded everything a bit and epoxied it at a couple of spots, sort of a tack weld.

dscf3952px0.jpg

Then I just gooped the stuff on for the basic shape.

dscf3954ds0.jpg

Then filed and sanded and ended up with this.

dscf3955gg0.jpg

Checked the fit and it's looking good. Drilled some holes in the back for the vacuum line and wires. About a 1/16" clearance from the dash, so hopefully no rubbing against the dash pad. I didn't put the gauge in all the way because it would be a b*tch to get back out and I still need to primer and paint.

dscf3958bh9.jpg

dscf3961fr8.jpg

And that's about it. I plan to primer with a fill primer for plastic and paint. I think the only thing I would have done differently would be to cut in to the mirror cover a bit and try to recess the gauge in further so the whole thing isn't so long. But I can still do that some day by cutting out the back and just shortening the length from the front, maybe on a belt sander or something.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sticks out way too far. may look good from the drivers seat. but it looks donkey from the outside.

needs a little more work.

:lol: Probably doesn't help that the gauge is sticking out making it even longer.

But yeah, I was thinking about it this morning and really there is no reason it can't go at least an inch shorter. I'll chop it tonight.

I was driving with it on today (no gauge). I didn't consider the defrost, but hopefully after shortening it up, it will be about even with the dash and that will help. The pod for the 2 in. gauge pretty much takes the whole width of the mirror cover at that angle, if you know what I mean. But I think I shouldn't have any problem shortening about an inch. I'm thinking that a smaller gauge would have been even better and one could really recess a smaller one pretty far in. But a larger gauge is easier for me to see, so that's just the tradeoff I guess.

:lol: yeah good point , air will go around it though and I dont think it would affect it enought to really matter .
Or how about a cross-drilled pod? :lol: :lol:

@ Dan:

Just an idea, but if you mark two narrow lines on the inside of your pod, and dremel away some of the hole leaving those two lines, you'll end up with two "rails" that will grab the gauge but allow for easier insertion/removal. Again, just a thought.

Or how about a cross-drilled pod? :lol: :lol:

@ Dan:

Just an idea, but if you mark two narrow lines on the inside of your pod, and dremel away some of the hole leaving those two lines, you'll end up with two "rails" that will grab the gauge but allow for easier insertion/removal. Again, just a thought.

Not a bad idea. Reduce the surface area in contact. Thanks.

:lol: Probably doesn't help that the gauge is sticking out making it even longer.

But yeah, I was thinking about it this morning and really there is no reason it can't go at least an inch shorter. I'll chop it tonight.

I think you have a solid base. 2 things: use a dremel on the inside of the pipe to make the hole bigger, it will fit better (that's what she said). Also, take your time prepping the surface before painting it, the smallest scratch will show up with paint on top of it.

Looks great, definitely a solid option for anyone afraid of the A pillar option.

Archived