Volvospeed Forums

94 850 Transmission Problem

Guest omeger

Hey everyone, first post...

I just bought a '94 850 non-turbo wagon this past friday and seem to have happened upon some problems that my wife and I hadn't noticed on the test drive. On the first drive down the highway we realized that the transmission doesn't shift into 4th gear. It shifts completely fine in all other gears and runs great. It does have 178K miles on it thought. From start off up to 3rd is just fine, but it can be taken up to over 4000rpms and still doesn't shift. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this problem before I have to take it in to get it checked out. I am very handy with a wrench, but this is my first Volvo so I still have a quite a bit of learning to do. Anything will be helpful.

Wonder if there's a problem with the gear shift cable and/or PNP switch. Try playing with the gear shift while your driving by moving it up towards neutral to see if it will shift, any difference shifting the gear into 3, etc.

Check the backup light if it's on when you place into reverse. Do you get the 'up' arrow light when you place the gearshift into 3 or lower gears?

The PNP switch was my first though, but I just replaced it and nothing changed. I have also tried messing with the shifter while driving and nothing seems to help. Everything works completely normal except the transmission going into 4th gear. The back up lights work normal and so does the up arrow when in 3rd or "L".

I had my car checked out today and the "answer" was they think everything will begin to work if I get the transmission flushed. They said the fluid was extremely broken down and burnt. I am dropping it off tomorrow to get the flush done. We will see what happens.

Archived