Volvospeed Forums

Roof Trim Repair - Looks Better Than New!

850&S80

Hi All,

I had peeling and cracked trim on my roof that goes up the side of the front window and onto the roof

I got this idea from http://www.___.com and it works great. Total cost under $7.

It has been several weeks and it looks great.

Bought one roll-off Trimbrite Blackout at Pep Boys.

I parked the car next to the curb, so I would be able to work on the roof easily.

Here are the pictures of the steps. (Sorry the car is a little dirty, rain and pollen, ugh!)

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?a..._key=*&st=0

Here are the steps I did.

1. Split the old material on top down the middle, as it was cracked already.

2. On the inside edge I pulled back and peeled off the old stuff.

3. On the outside edge I scored it with a utility knife and then peeled it off.

4. When the old material is off you have a smooth piece of aluminum looking trim. (I didn't need to sand.)

5. Then using a 5 in 1 painting tool you pry off the trim, starting at the bottom inside edge of the window.

6. When you start to lift you will see the clips underneath. Gently lift the all the trim off.

7. Some clips stay on the car, others on the trim, it doesn't matter.

8. Working left to right apply the edge of the tape to the outer edge of the trim. Smooth out bubbles as you go.

9. I peeled about a foot at a time. Get the outer edge smooth. Smooth out the back edge by lifting the tape and re-applying.

10. Now take the 5 and 1 Tool and press in the tape along the back-edge grove. Do this the whole length.

11. With the utility knife score the tape along the inside grove you just created, and then peel excess tape.

12. The trim should like brand new now, and simply pop it back on car starting at rear window going forward.

Good luck.

Good info. I did a similar write up and Charles posted a write up he had done, in my thread.

I'd be interested to see how it holds up over time, given that the base is metal and exposed to the elements a lot.

Looks great! Good work. I opted with painting some S70 trim pieces (with rain diverters), made them look brand new.

Can you post up some pics of the S70 trim w/ rain diverters? I've looked at 3 jy S70s and all three looked like the ones on my 97 850.

And I agree w Cal3000, plastidip ftw...great stuff

Looks good. But when you always have a can of plastidip at your house, there's no need anything else.

When you hit them with plastidip, do you tape off the rubber edges or paint the whole thing?

G

Yes and no. It worked great on the top, but peeled off the rubber sides within days.

Gary

+1. i resprayed mine and the same thing happened. if you spray yours remember to tape off the rubber seals along the edge and only spray the metal part..

if you spray the rubber it will flake off, no matter what you spray it with, just like gary said.

if i do this again i will remember to mask off the rubber edges next time...

on the other hand, if u dont wanna go thru this at all, i have some good roof trim with rain diverters that is not peeling.. (shameless plug :)

Archived