Volvospeed Forums

Howto: Replace Or Repair Temperature Sensor

matt b

Since my headliner was replaced, the car would have an annoying whining/whistling noise underneath the grab handle above the driver's side door. With the cold weather, it got worse.

I finally pulled up the information on Vadis and pulled the part off the car. This write up shows you how to replace the part if needed, but also shows you how to repair it.

Pull the B pillar back far enough to clear the tab for the A pillar.

Pull the A pillar back and set it on the dash.

Pull the handle off, the two covers hide two 10 mm bolts. Remove those and pull the handle off the car.

013-10.jpg

Next, remove the cover for the damaged sensor, it pulls right off.

007-12.jpg

You should have this:

011-14.jpg

The hole is where air is fed into the temp sensor.

Pull the headliner far enough to unplug the sensor:

016-9.jpg

In this pic, one screw has already been removed. You will need to remove both torx screws.

Pull the sensor out, it looks like this:

019-9.jpg

Because of the rubber seal on it and the Florida heat, mine felt like it had been glued to the roof of the car, but a little push with a screwdriver fixed that.

If you are replacing it, run to the dealer and ask them for this:

HeaterControl.jpg

If you are repairing it, read on:

Pull the cover off, it's held on by two small tabs that can be pushed back with a small flat head screwdriver. It'll show you the brains of the monster:

020-9.jpg

Then unscrew the rest of the unit with a small Phillips head screwdriver:

024-3.jpg

My issue was that the coiled part was rubbing against the fan, probably the casualty of someone pushing the cover too hard on it.

022-6.jpg

I pulled it back out, buttoned everything back up and I can finally drive around without useless noise.

Nice write up, it's funny the extents we have to go through to get rid of one little annoying noise. :lol:

This one was extremely annoying! I've put up with the tailgate for 2 years and I still have 6 months in me, but this one was too close to my ear for my comfort.

Archived