Volvospeed Forums

It Is Official, Head Gasket Replacement Sucks, '98 S70 T5

Mike94531

Got the news from the wife on Wed that as she drove down our street the temp gauge pegs, oil light and check engine light go on and car is now running like cr@p.

I get home, pull dipstick, what a lovely sign to see water mixed in with the oil :(

Anyways, spent way too many hours yesterday taking the head off, spent more time on one stupid nut trying to get the turbo off than I'd like to admit in public !!!

Head is off, I see no obvious signs of failure of the HG or the head, I'll still take the head to the machine shop and have it checked out, hopefully they are open today as they said they would be.

Car has 168K miles and a bunch of oil in the intake, going to rebuild the turbo, any recommendations for kits or are the eBay kits okay??

I bought new headbolts, are they still torque to angle?

Thanks,

Mike Mueller

Antioch, CA

'98 S70 T5, 168K miles

'78 242, 400K + miles

Car has 168K miles and a bunch of oil in the intake, going to rebuild the turbo, any recommendations for kits or are the eBay kits okay??

gpop-shop or kansia motorsports has them for your turbo. for gpop just go to thier website. should do PCV and all vac new lines/ elbows while your at it not to mention replace CBV diaphram.

do you plan to do a ny upgrades?

no upgrades right now, need it back on the road ASAP, motors are cheap enough I think I'll grab an extra one and start to go thru that once I finish building my new 242 motor....

good call on the vac lines, many are on their way out...the plastic covers for much of the wiring just crumbled at the slightest touch, so those too will need replacing..

belts and tensioners and waterpump, I replaced about 20K mile ago...

installing new raditor and all new hoses as well this time around...

Got the news from the wife on Wed that as she drove down our street the temp gauge pegs, oil light and check engine light go on and car is now running like cr@p.

I get home, pull dipstick, what a lovely sign to see water mixed in with the oil :(

Anyways, spent way too many hours yesterday taking the head off, spent more time on one stupid nut trying to get the turbo off than I'd like to admit in public !!!

Head is off, I see no obvious signs of failure of the HG or the head, I'll still take the head to the machine shop and have it checked out, hopefully they are open today as they said they would be.

I bought new headbolts, are they still torque to angle?

Thanks,

Mike Mueller

Antioch, CA

'98 S70 T5, 168K miles

'78 242, 400K + miles

Is it possible it's rad failure and not HG if there's no sign of HG failure?

Ok heres the run down, this is what I would do....

Keep this in mind. The head gaskets are REALLY REALLY RARE to fail...RARE!! so it might have not even been that. Thats besides the point..

Replace:

Valve stem seals

Cam seals

Head gasket

Intake & exhaust gaskets

thermastat

temp sensor

Complete PCV system (Replace with NEW, I repeat NEW... AGAIN... NEW NEW NEW!)

Timing belt even though it was replace at 20K, I would do it just due to the stress of taking it off and on.

Top motor mount if its bad. (good time)

Don't:

Rebuild the turbo

Reinstall the old PCV system

Do:

Use the old head bolts... they are good for one more time...

Why no rebuild of the turbo?

It will need it sooner or later correct??

I just figure since I have it removed, it would be a good time.

I'll have to look at the manual to figure out what all is part of the PCV system, I broke a few plastic tubes that went from the turbo inlet and wrapped around the head, I think they go someplace below the intake which I have not fully removed yet.

Head is shaved, it was off a good .012" with a precision straight edge placed against it.

Bought new head bolts already, guess I could return them to help offset the cost of more items I'll need to add to my list for the R&R of the head.

If you know what you are doing and want to spend $70 bucks on the rebuild kit then sure go for it. But if you dont know what you are doing then you are going to be shooting a lot of F-bombs out when you take the turbo apart.

How much play is there in the turbo?

Just keep in mind that these turbos don't ever really fail unless you really mistreat them.

Edit: that tube that you broke it the PCV tube running under the intake to the oil trap... do some research on replacing that system. NEW!

A few more dozen or so f-bombs won't hurt anyone, I just make sure the kids are in the house :)

Yep, just read a PCV article here and on Bay-13, still need to figure out where that last bolt is holding my intake manifold on is, feels like it is on a rubber isolator or something.

Archived