Volvospeed Forums

Pulling Engine Again...couple Problems This Time

Ludeless

So I'm pulling my engine again today as the first step in my manual swap project. I made really good time so far only have 5 hours into it and it's ready to hook up to the hoist, w/ the execption of 2 evil bolts. There are 4 bolts that hold the AC Compressor to the engine bracket...the 2 i'm having issues with are the ones that you reach from the passenger side by pulling back the wheel liner.

Nothing else seemed to fit in that little space...so I started it with a super long extension and a U joint on the end nearest the socket. That kept slipping off..so i then decided to put a ratcheting wrench on it. I got it started this way, and was making decent progress until i hit a snag. The wrench is stuck on there now....the edge of the wrench is getting caught by the compressor wheel, and even worse i can't screw the bolt back in because the wrench is on the OFF side to remove it (only way to spin it back in is to flip it around... DOH

volvowrench002.jpg

Can Anyone think of a way around this? i REEALLY don't wanna pull the compressor w/ the engine b/c then i'll need to disconnect the lines and loose all the refrigerant gas right?

Maybe if i get the top bolt off i can move the entire compressor out and get enough space to free the wrench? But it's a PITA to get that top bolt out.

How do you guys go about removing these 2 bolts ususally? There's gotta be some trick or tool that makes it easier...i struggle w/ them all the time.

2nd question...I was thinking of just pulling the entire wireing harness instead of disconnecting all the different components... How do you disconnect this if i go that route? Looks like it passes through the firewall in 2 places...on both the driver and passenger side. Where do i disconnect the wires? Doesn't look like there's a plug under the ECU box, or hear the passenger side stut tower.

Not sure if i really need to pull the entire harness...thought it may be easier if there was any wire splicing to do... Anyone that's done a swap think it's any easier or harder to do it this way?

Thanks!

So I'm pulling my engine again today as the first step in my manual swap project. I made really good time so far only have 5 hours into it and it's ready to hook up to the hoist, w/ the execption of 2 evil bolts. There are 4 bolts that hold the AC Compressor to the engine bracket...the 2 i'm having issues with are the ones that you reach from the passenger side by pulling back the wheel liner.

Nothing else seemed to fit in that little space...so I started it with a super long extension and a U joint on the end nearest the socket. That kept slipping off..so i then decided to put a ratcheting wrench on it. I got it started this way, and was making decent progress until i hit a snag. The wrench is stuck on there now....the edge of the wrench is getting caught by the compressor wheel, and even worse i can't screw the bolt back in because the wrench is on the OFF side to remove it (only way to spin it back in is to flip it around... DOH

volvowrench002.jpg

Can Anyone think of a way around this? i REEALLY don't wanna pull the compressor w/ the engine b/c then i'll need to disconnect the lines and loose all the refrigerant gas right?

Maybe if i get the top bolt off i can move the entire compressor out and get enough space to free the wrench? But it's a PITA to get that top bolt out.

How do you guys go about removing these 2 bolts ususally? There's gotta be some trick or tool that makes it easier...i struggle w/ them all the time.

2nd question...I was thinking of just pulling the entire wireing harness instead of disconnecting all the different components... How do you disconnect this if i go that route? Looks like it passes through the firewall in 2 places...on both the driver and passenger side. Where do i disconnect the wires? Doesn't look like there's a plug under the ECU box, or hear the passenger side stut tower.

Not sure if i really need to pull the entire harness...thought it may be easier if there was any wire splicing to do... Anyone that's done a swap think it's any easier or harder to do it this way?

Thanks!

Thats why I don't use that style ratchet wrench. You may have to cut the ratchet wrench with a cutoff wheel :o .. Or remove the compressor clutch.

Good Luck.

Just take the compressor out with the engine... done! Bad for the environment but you have no other choice really. I just recycle the fluid and then put it back in when im done but that requires a special mechine.

As for the harness, DONT take it off the engine when its in the car. Thats a good long waste of time! Just disassemble the ECU box and the two metal base halves fold apart. see the line between them? yup they come apart! so much quicker!

Thats why I don't use that style ratchet wrench. You may have to cut the ratchet wrench with a cutoff wheel :o .. Or remove the compressor clutch.

Good Luck.

You just had to make a whole reply of his post haha.... those ratchets arnt bad if you think ahead.

I have no clue what the cost is... never had to pay for it.

You take the ECUs out, remove the box (sides) and then its just showing the bad. There is a rubber gasket thing that comes off of the metal pieces and then those to pieces unclip from the bottom plastic housing and fold apart. Do you not see the split down the middle of them?

Good Luck.

Ratchet wrenches can be good if you buy the kind that you can change by moving the little switch. I have a set of blue point(snap-on) and they work great.

As for that bolt, it looks like you can just push the wrench twards the pump and take the bolt out with your hands or another wrench.

Too hard for me to tell if there's enough room.

Ratchet wrenches can be good if you buy the kind that you can change by moving the little switch. I have a set of blue point(snap-on) and they work great.

Those ones really piss me off some times. I have a set of snap-on and if you are in a tight space and you nudge that switch it goes the other way. that just erks me every time.... So there are pros and cons to either one.

As for that bolt, it looks like you can just push the wrench twards the pump and take the bolt out with your hands or another wrench.

Too hard for me to tell if there's enough room.

Nope...there's no room to get that wrench off unless:

1) The bolt can be screwed back in (which it can't because of the non-reversible ratchet wrench is currently set to unscrew)

2) Compressor wheel can be removed....no idea if this is possible...or how hard it is to do without pulling the rest of the engine to get to it. There is very little room in there.

or

3) The entire compressor may be able to slide away from the wrench a little if i can loosen the top bolt which is holding it close to the engine bracket... The problem is i can't get to that top bolt now that my wrench is stuck. If i could move it away from the wrench/engine bracket by 1/8" i'd be fine, but i can't for the life of me get that top bolt unscrewed...unless anyone has other ideas/tricks to get to it.

Grab it with some pliers. Maybe cut the bolt?

Or, if you "push" on the wrench, it will allow the ratchet to spin freely in both directions, Use your thumb to hold the center rotating piece in place and act as the ratchet system.

Maybe it's a real tight space to cut the head off, but try the second suggestion. Try playing with another ratchet in a more accessible area to get the feel for what I'm talking about.

GOT IT!

I bought myself some of the adjustable angle ratcheting wrenches, and was able to back the upper 13mm bolt off... a quick tap w/ a mallet and the condenser moved enough to free the lower wrench!

And i have a new set of favorite tools in the toolbox now... :D

So that's all done...now onto this wiring harness thing at the ECU box. I pulled the grommet at the bottom and see the split. How do these separate? Do i pull them apart, fore/aft.... or do they fold up together? Do i need to pry somewhere? Does the metal halves need to completely separate from the lower plastic tray?

I didn't want to force anything until I understood the mechanism.... I'm done breaking things on this car...for now B)

Archived