Volvospeed Forums

Collapsed Intercooler Hoses Due To Cold

Ali

This morning I started the car and it was making a weid sound, and it would shut off as soon as I would step on the gas. I popped to hood to find 2 intercooler hoses had collapsed. I asked the local Volvo Dealer about this and they said that the moisture and oil inside the intercooler probably froze up and that I should let the car warm up for a while to defrost it.

I did just that and everything was well. I am afraid that it will happen again. What are my options now? They also told me to clear the weep hole, and clean out the intercooler.

Is there any way to clean it out without removing it from the car?

Any info regarding this would be helpful.

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

suuuuuure ;)

As I mentioned it in another thread today, it happened to me as well, around Christmas.

Stylin (sp?) on here sells those hoses in beautiful colours, and while I haven't ordered mine yet, I intend to. Changing the hoses would probably be the best course of action. Cleaning the bleed hole too, I suppose. Can't see why cleaning the intercooler is particularly necessary.

It was like -30 C(anadian speak :P ) this morning in New Brunswick and I had no problem starting the car. I think the blockage in the weep hole is the major culprit, and the weakened intercooler hoses a secondary one.

I have the same issue and replace them with silicon ones. Still not solved. Something must get clogged and replacing them did not fix it at all. Putting the car into a heated garage is so far the only solution. Getting back from work at -10F is a getting a problem. Someone knows what is going on . I also flushed the intercooler with gasoline a few days ago still and drilled a second small hole in the bottom. All not making a real improvement everytime it gets below -10F it comes back...

I have the same issue and replace them with silicon ones. Still not solved. Something must get clogged and replacing them did not fix it at all. Putting the car into a heated garage is so far the only solution. Getting back from work at -10F is a getting a problem. Someone knows what is going on . I also flushed the intercooler with gasoline a few days ago still and drilled a second small hole in the bottom. All not making a real improvement everytime it gets below -10F it comes back...

take off your intake hose at the engine and check your throttle body, you may have some carbon buildup that can cause the butterfly to stick and it gets worse when its cold, spray some carb./FI cleaner around the butterfly and wipe it out by hand, also operate the throttle right there and watch the butterfly and make sure it moves freely

take off your intake hose at the engine and check your throttle body, you may have some carbon buildup that can cause the butterfly to stick and it gets worse when its cold, spray some carb./FI cleaner around the butterfly and wipe it out by hand, also operate the throttle right there and watch the butterfly and make sure it moves freely

A stupid question. Where is the throttle body located. Would I get to it if I follow the lower hose connected to the bottom of the intercooler? or should I follow the upper hose to get to it. I have been looking for pictures of the engine compartment to find it with no luck so far. I am sure there are some somewhere...

A stupid question. Where is the throttle body located. Would I get to it if I follow the lower hose connected to the bottom of the intercooler? or should I follow the upper hose to get to it. I have been looking for pictures of the engine compartment to find it with no luck so far. I am sure there are some somewhere...

Here the issue why I am confused. I thought that the throttle body was inbetween the intercooler and the intake manifold. I hope I am wrong on this. I am convinced that something is clogged in front with respect to airflow through the intercooler and not afterwards. So Where is the throttle body located with respect to the airflow. Before or after the air enters intercooler? If it is before I would agree that the throttle body is the reason.

Here the issue why I am confused. I thought that the throttle body was inbetween the intercooler and the intake manifold. I hope I am wrong on this. I am convinced that something is clogged in front with respect to airflow through the intercooler and not afterwards. So Where is the throttle body located with respect to the airflow. Before or after the air enters intercooler? If it is before I would agree that the throttle body is the reason.

throttle body

T5install0053.jpg

The engine needs to breathe in air and is not getting it. The throttle body is where it enters so that not the problem. The blockage is between the last collapsed hose and the air filter. A plugged air filter that is wet and now frozen the cause?

The engine needs to breathe in air and is not getting it. The throttle body is where it enters so that not the problem. The blockage is between the last collapsed hose and the air filter. A plugged air filter that is wet and now frozen the cause?

+1E499

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Posting the picture confirmed that the butterfly valve is inbetween the intercooler and intake manifold. I will check the butterfly valve even so I do not think it is the problem since it is on the wong side of the airflow.

So here the summary for those having the same problem: Replacing the hoses did not fix the problem, flushing the intercooler did not fix the problem, cleaning out the drainage hole did not fix the problem, drilling another drainage hole did not fix the problem. Conclusion: Something still gets clogged. Problem might still be the intercooler but the amount of condensation and oil that dripps out when I remove the bottom hose placing the car in a heated garage is small so I am not convinced that this is truely the issue. I begin to believe that something else infront of the intercoler gets clogged. Anything before the intercooler going to the turbo charger going to the airfilter. Anyone has some advice on where it could be??????????

Considering the diameter of the hoses and that they are clean and new I have little ideas of where it could be.

I am out of ideas at the moment and feel like a :sheep:. :sheep: fixing a bunch of things that did not help....

Thanks to all of you for the help even posting pictures...

So...IS the air filter OK?

Ok officially registered...

Did test the airfilter. The airfilter is dry and clean.

Did clean the intake throttle box. It had some carbon deposit but the butterfly valve (if this is the flap) turned fine to open the channel. Again I do not think that the problem is the butterfly valve for those experiencing the same problem.

The temperature in Minnesota is up to above 0F which means that the problem disappears.

Anyway nothing has been fixed and it will come back as soon as temps go below approx -10F.

Could something arround the turbo get clogged. I do not think so but I am just asking...

All in all looking at this it might still be a problem with the intercooler and I would like to bypass it if this would be an easy option when it gets that cold..

when you "flushed" the intercooler with gasoline, how did you do that?

did you take the intercooler off the vehicle?

should register too, its free

I removed the upper hose and left the hose at the bottom of the intercooler attached which loops up to about 70% of the total height (or more) until it loops down again to the turbo charger (850 Glt 97) to ensure that there is no way for water to get

First I used water and sope.

Archived