Volvospeed Forums

Xemodex Etm Rebuild, All You 99+ Peeps Shoudl Know This

Ghost Shadow

Some of you may know that my 99 XC70 ETM died on 1/25 @ 6:pm est. At 6:10pm est, my ETM was removed to be rebuild from Xemodex.

IMAG0150.jpg

Sent my ETM out next day air 1/26 from USA via FEDEX, cheapest solution out there. BTW- tag the item as a warranty repair, you will not incure duties/import tax that way. Cost was $68 from Philadelphia, PA. to Ontario Canada. Xemodex got the ETM Tuesday 1/27 @ 11am est. By 3:30pm est i got a phone call stating my ETM is ready for return and asking for payment. Here's the deal, the rebuild costs $599 CANADIAN DOLLARS. at the current exchange of .81750, thats $485. If you pay by credit card, your CC company will impose a 2-5% surcharge on your purchase and in my case it was 3% and the charge was $511!! debit cards don't carry the surcharge IIRC. That price also INCLUDES the return nest day air freight to USA, thats $80-140 canadian dollars. Well i planned on going to get my car on Wednesday night and drive it home. Well my ETM was stuck in Kentucky from 1/28 to 1/30 and the status was "IMPORTING" and then UPS people told me it was the weather. total BS, i think they lost it since another VS member's ETM was sent out at the same time as mine, went to the same UPS Hub, same time stamps, everything the same except his got delivered to north carolina and mine stayed behind.

IMAG0155-1.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

fast foward to 1/31,upgraded saturday delivery by 12noon, i get it @ 11:15am on saturday. by 2:15pm i am back at my car after it sitting for 6 days. got my tools, brought a jump pack just in case. install goes smoothly. well how smooth can it go at 25 degrees with a 10 degree windchill. it went fast 20 minutes tops with dropping the bolts 2x's. i go to start the car and i get click click. fck i said but its ok, i got the jump pack, my pack is dead forgot to charge it. i get my uncle to give me a jump, and the car starts on the first try.

Impressions: the car defiantly has better throttle response than my C70, since i just got out of my C70 1/2 hr earlier. Impressed

Drive ability: Good, 0-60 times are greatly improved (i used my trusty butt dynometer) over the dead ETM, that stumble and died all the time

Highway: Car had a stumbling at 4000-4500 range during my 20 mile trip home. maybe since the battery is dead cause some issues. maybe the ETM was installed incorrectly. maybe it has to learn the ETM.

I got home and started and shut down the car a few times to see if the battery was charged from the trip home. on the third on/off start, the ETS light came on again. went out for a drive and the car still had the 4000-4500 stumble. it drove fine, but thats how my old ETM felt too until it died all together. parked the car for 4 hours and when i returned home, i went to check if the battery was fully charged and started the car. Car now stumbles just like it did before i changed the ETM. It runs better than the old ETM but worse than a good ETM.

Now here's the problems:

1: ETM is a fresh rebuild, could it be bad?

-going to install it in the C70 to

A: confirm interchange between models

B: confirm that the ETM is good or bad rebuild

2: could i have a bad MAF?

-going to swap the MAF from my C70 to check

3: how do i find out what the codes are for the ETS light?

Right now, i can not reccomend anyone top go ahead and do this YET until i find out what is going on.

Time to go heat up the garage with the 100k propane heater and the 250k kerosene heater.

Stayed tuned to the ETM update channel, and here are the pictures for the new ETM

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc132/g...325/my%20stuff/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking you have other issues... with the car that is??? :unsure:

Mine only has the idle stumble... other than that the car ran up and down the rev range prior to removal without a hitch.

I'm staying tuned to this "Bat Channel" and look forward to seeing if they can be swapped back and forth.

;)

Mind you... mine's under "warranty" until April... but I am not willing to let the dealer/Volvo wipe out the RICA tune :wacko:

Hello,

I am Bill in Durham, NC. I am the other guy that got the ETM rebuilt by XeMODex the same time that you did.

I am sorry that your car is having a stumbling idle issue.

My car is not having an issue with the idle, but it didn't before the ETM rebuild either.

Before the ETM rebuild, the idle RPM would "bounce" around a bit.

The car would stumble sometimes form a dead stop, like when trying for a fast start from a stop sign.

It has not done that stumble since I installed the ETM 3 days ago.

I will keep you posted if that sort of stumble returns with the new ETM.

Good luck,

Bill

Ok here's the deal after 3 hours of testing and retesting know good components and questionable NEW components.

1: It is POSITIVE that you can swap the ETM between S/V70's and C70 cars.

2: It is NOT a bad MAF

3: It is NOT bad installation

4: It is NEGATIVE on the rebuild.

pictures added in the link in first post.

I first installed a fresh batteryinto the XC70. ETS went out. drove around the block, 2 mile loop. Car was fine. pulled into driveway, shut off the car and restarted it and ETS on. back into the garage. I first swapped out MAF's since it a 5 minute job. Disconnected battery, repeated test drive, shut off and restart, ETS on. No change.

Removed the C70 ETM first. Removed the XeMODeX ETM next. installed the C70 ETM in the XC70 and this is what i got.

IMAG0190.jpg

Repeated test loop, shut off restart and no ETS nothing. Car drive like nothing ever happened.

Next, the XeMODeX ETM was installed into my 2001 C70. Installed the original MAF back into the C70. This car has no CEL, no ETS nothing previously. this is what i got after installing the XeMODeX ETM

IMAG0172.jpg

The C70 immediately kicked in a CEL, ETS light. P1600 code, anyone know what this code is?

Going to foward this research to Chris @ XeMODeX and hopefully i will have a working ETM in my C70 soon, since i am going to drive the XC70 for the next few days to make sure the interchange is going to be fine.

RECAP: Cars are 2001 C70 2.3L HPT manual and 1999 XC70 2.4L LPT automatic. Interchange is fine with both part numbers on both cars being 8644347. XC70 had software update on June 2005, C70 had update done July 2007. C70 has Speedtuning flash. XC70 had factory ecu programming. I did all this to make sure the XeMODex ETM is defiantly defective and to show that you can swap ETMs from different cars as long as part numbers are the same.

Right Now as I type this still can't recommend the rebuild yet.

Yer almost out of gas :lol:

IMAG0190.jpg

Seriously though... you got me???

Could there be a difference in the ECU between the 2.3L M/T & the 2.4L A/T???

Anything else... sensor not plugged all the way in? Is the one sensor (gray) you told me about (same one I broke one of the clips off of) seated in the delivery tube? What was the car running like prior to doing any of this? It has to be something simple... or at least I hope it is for your sake.

Keep us posted...

WHOA NELLY.... scratch that and STOP THE BUS... "throttle unit internal fault" :o

Now this is handy!!! http://www.v70r.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12254

Could be your wiring...check your wiring from the ETM.

If not, it looks like it's going to see a trip back to Canada. :(

Could be your wiring...check your wiring from the ETM.

If not, it looks like it's going to see a trip back to Canada. :(

I'd be looking over each terminal on both sides of the connector with a fine toothed comb... just in case.

First things first;

You did not follow a procedure we have provided you with.

I 've asked you to have your car diagnosed properly before the ETM is condemned.

When you have ETS light on there must be a code set. What is the code? (on your xc70 not C70)

Some generic OBD readers will not pick up all codes.

Because there are many reasons as for why ETS light could be on( Brake pedal position sensor, accelerator position sensor, ETM), please stop guessing and swapping parts.Scan xc70 properly, diagnose it properly and then draw a conclusions.

Second;

You were told that our ETM will not work on C70 because of the unique software coding. You did this swap out of your own curiosity. I'm not surprised to see high RPM instant P1600 code. This in no way a procedure to verify whether or not our ETM is bad.

Third;

Our ETM comes with a lifetime warranty. When your car get properly diagnosed and turns out to be the ETM we will send you a replacement.

Fourth;

As noted above please fill up your gas tank.

First things first;

You did not follow a procedure we have provided you with.

I 've asked you to have your car diagnosed properly before the ETM is condemned.

When you have ETS light on there must be a code set. What is the code? (on your xc70 not C70)

Some generic OBD readers will not pick up all codes.

Because there are many reasons as for why ETS light could be on( Brake pedal position sensor, accelerator position sensor, ETM), please stop guessing and swapping parts.Scan xc70 properly, diagnose it properly and then draw a conclusions.

Second;

You were told that our ETM will not work on C70 because of the unique software coding. You did this swap out of your own curiosity. I'm not surprised to see high RPM instant P1600 code. This in no way a procedure to verify whether or not our ETM is bad.

Third;

Our ETM comes with a lifetime warranty. When your car get properly diagnosed and turns out to be the ETM we will send you a replacement.

Fourth;

As noted above please fill up your gas tank.

First,

I did not send my car to a volvo dealer before i sent in the ETM. This cost money $50 - 95, PLUS towing since the car does not run(flatbed costs $150). Code on XC70 don't know, refer to last sentence ($$). True alot of sensors could trip the ETS light, question is why did it not happen when i put the C70's ETM into the XC70? I have driven about 40 miles now with my C70's ETM installed into my XC70. I am not guessing on what parts could be bad, i am using KNOWN good parts and testing between my two cars. I am providing the labor and the FREE research and testing. If the C70 had NO issues it is a known good part in that car. I disconnected each of the sensors you have mentioned methodically both while the car is running and the ETS light did not come on in the XC70. this was done about 1/2hr ago.

Second,

I was told the ETM may not work in the C70 due to some software changes that may effect the ETM. High RPM was me pressing on the gas pedal, if you look at the other pictures you will see it idle, but its sputters just like when it was in the XC70. This is probably the BEST way i can test to see if the XeMODeX ETM is bad since my ETM from the C70 is running flawless in the XC70.

Third,

From the sound of this statement, you want me to take my C70 to the dealer and have them tell me that the ETM is bad. If anyone were to get warranty replacement from XeMODeX do they need to take it to the dealer and pay to scan the car? Does the warranty only apply if we can prove the ETM is bad? If that is true, that would be really bad since that's how the dealer treated by insulting our intelligence(offer ETM cleaning).

Fourth,

even at that gas level, we have at LEAST 3 gallons left. when my light first turns on i have 2 gallons left. what would gas levels have anything to do with the ETS light on?

MIJ, you mention to check my wiring. Even from the brief conversation we had before, i really hope that i am smarter than that.

Decker, My C70 is the baby, the XC70 is the "i don't give a shit its a beater car". I would not man-handle the vert, the wagon yes. The ETS light is on in the vert. Only time will tell if the XC70 ETS light will come on. Tomorrow i need to do 14 mile roundtrip back and forth to work with stop and go traffic.

I can only do what is within my power. This ETM problem i am having, does not need a trip to the dealer so I can get a code scanned. If i can swap out known good parts with unknown parts and show the same conditions exist when i move the faulty part from one car to another. then logically what conclusion can i find? that part i just move from one car to another is bad.

All i want is a running car. i do not need to give the dealership anymore of my money so they can tell me the ETM is defective. they made me buy two abs sensors before i bought a rebuilt ABS module, wasted $110 when the rebuild was $99. same thing here, send the car to the dealer for $150 tow plus $75 for the scan, thats $225 wasted so Chris can be sure that the ETM is bad? No one is faulting the validity of the product. if there is a problem somewhere in my XC70, i am sure it will show up right away. lets see. I actually got a scan of my C70 from early January 09 when they reset my SRS light.

Since Chris is so adamant that the ETM could not be bad.

A: i am going to REINSTALL THE XeMODeX ETM into my C70.

B: use my Fluke 187 meter and check continuity at the connector

C: Remove the battery to reset the light

Chris, you seem like you are taking this way to personally, it is definatly not a attack on your product or you. this is feedback on the findings i found. weather or not you approve of my methods, i can only use what i have access to.

Off i go, will report back with my findings in a few....

Update:

Went back out to the garage, reinstalled the XeMODeX ETM. disconnected the battery. Shorted the car, by touching negative terminal to positive terminal when the negative was disconnected from the battery. Check connector for the ETM, check intake tube, check connectors on intake tube. Reinstalled battery. turned car to on position where all the dash lights up. the usual lights that will turn off are SRS and ETS light. SRS went out ETS stayed on like before. Started car the same thing. stumbles and bad idle.

For good measure, ETM originally from c70 was reinstalled back into the c70. XeMODeX ETM was installed back into the XC70. ETS light came on the xc70 and went off in the C70. the c70 went back to normal like nothing ever happened.

For now i reinstalled the c70 ETM back into the XC70 for the third time today and everything is A-OK like this morning.

My conclusion bad ETM. weather its the rebuild itself or the unit is bad with a good DAS.

Lets just say i never told you what kind of car it came out of. would it matter? i do not think so, since the etm from c70 works fine in the xc70. the rebuilt one is bad, but maybe its another failure beside the DAS? It does make sense to me that the ETM is bad.

Chris please remember this, I am trying to get my cars up and running. I spent my whole SUPERBOWL sunday messing with this thing. I am not trying to screw you over and E-thug you on the internet. I just want my car running. I have time to work on this since i do NOT like driving my convertible in i the dead of winter. So i can have the ETM out of the c70 to give it to the XC70. take a step back and see it from my perspective. i want to get it working. I spent $almost $600 USD already. I am going try to get another ETM from a running 1999 XC70 and install it in my C70 to get it running.

refresh my memory.... the unit you sent in was from of the XC right? or was it an "extra"? it's not from the C70... that much we do know.

were any lights on or was anything funky happening with the XC prior to the ETM giving up the ghost?

there's just something that isn't adding up... and it's probably something simple... it usually is... :unsure:

Archived