Volvospeed Forums

How Much Can It Handle?

850drag

Hey guys,

I was told by one of the volvo spec. at my school that the 1994 850 tranny's (auto) can only handle up to 350 hp at most before running into probelms? is this true, if so what tranny should I go with, I want to stick with auto for drag reasons.

Thanks

what school????? and yes level 10 is a great place to start. Also but much harder you can look into what trannys are used my powerful fwd car and see about customing it.

I have an 1997 850R (see my site - www.bigredvolvos.co.uk) - She has done 146,000 miles. She has been RICA tuned and pushes 1.2 Bar ~ and a quoted 304bhp at the crank.

The auto box has just given in (ouch) :(

We are not certain what the issue is - but I cannot help but think that the extra umph and the odd bit of boost braking has speeded it's demise. :(

The M56H shares its internals wtih the M90. They've been known to be good to 500+hp. I wouldn't worry. Only upgrade is a grippier clutch. By R clutch I assume you have a stock R clutch....they're not that great. Get a nice 6puck.

-Andy

I've seen the auto fail on the dyno , the car was making just over 450 whp! I have also seen them die lower than that (like mine) but that was with 150k on the ticker (i am never getting a new car!) now the new one has about 12k on it and is holding fine. no worries until about 350whp i'd say, but level 10 is an excellent option, i'm thinking of going that route soon too.

I've seen the auto fail on the dyno , the car was making just over 450 whp! I have also seen them die lower than that (like mine) but that was with 150k on the ticker (i am never getting a new car!) now the new one has about 12k on it and is holding fine.  no worries until about 350whp i'd say, but level 10 is an excellent option, i'm thinking of going that route soon too.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink: :blink:

Archived