Volvospeed Forums

Oem Volvo Parts Vs. Aftermarket Volvo Parts- What Is The Difference?

FCP Euro

The brief time we have spent on this board we have found a reoccurring theme; The jargon used in the automotive industry is being used incorrectly in some instances (or used very loosely).

This causes confusion for newbies, and others spending time doing their own due diligence on the maintenance of their vehicle. It also causes confusion for the vendor because we simply don't know what you want. :huh:

Genuine Volvo Parts: Genuine Volvo parts come in Genuine Volvo packaging. Plain and simple. If its not in a Genuine Volvo box, or has a Volvo stamp on it, it is not considered a Genuine Volvo Part. Keep in mind Volvo does not actually manufacture these parts, they are subcontracted to companies that manufacture the specific product. The company that manufactures the particular part for Volvo is called the Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Example:

Genuine Volvo Blue Box

OEM Volvo Parts: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. It is essentially the same product as a Genuine Volvo part, however the manufacturer has sold the product in their own packaging instead of sending it directly to Volvo to be packaged under the Volvo name.

Example:

Sachs/Boge is OEM for Volvo Shocks and Struts

Continental is OEM for Volvo Belts

Aisin is OEM for Volvo Water Pumps

OEA/ OES Volvo Parts: Stands for either Original Equipment Aftermarket or Original equipment supplier. A company may manufacture genuine parts for Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes, or other car maker, but if they have never manufactured a part for Volvo, they will never be considered a genuine Volvo part or OEM Volvo part.

Examples:

Brembo is OEM for Honda, but not for Volvo

Akebono is OEM for SAAB, but not for Volvo

Karlyn/STI is OEM for BMW Ignition, but not for Volvo

Aftermarket Volvo Parts: An aftermarket Volvo part is manufactured by a company that has never been contracted by a major car maker to be their Original Equipment manufacturer. Although the company has never been contracted by a major auto maker, the parts are made to fit and perform as well as the OEM since they are generally produced with the same materials and machinery.

Examples:

APA (URO) is not an OEM Supplier.

Nordic is not an OEM Supplier

Pex is not an OEM Supplier

(Through OUR experience this is our take. Doesn't mean its dead nutz)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good clarification. I'll take an OEM (non blue-box, aka "Genuine Volvo Parts") part any day of the week. You can generally save a few dollars by not getting it 'Volvo' branded, but it is the same part. For instance, I just installed coilpacks on my XC90, Bosch OEMs but not 'Volvo.'

OTOH, I wouldn't use a non-OEM radiator... Doesn't matter if it's 'aftermarket' or OESA/S.

I buy the OEM part. as long as it is clearly specified that is is OEM. sometimes your site just says OEM quality, which makes me nervous. especially your ebay items. they dont specify who the manufacturer is or if it is OEM or OEA/OES.

if its not OEM (OEA/OES), i would like to see the name of the manufacturer.

i like the idea of this thread though, thanks for bringing it up. have you all revamped the listing on your site or something?

I buy the OEM part. as long as it is clearly specified that is is OEM. sometimes your site just says OEM quality, which makes me nervous. especially your ebay items. they dont specify who the manufacturer is or if it is OEM or OEA/OES.

if its not OEM (OEA/OES), i would like to see the name of the manufacturer.

i like the idea of this thread though, thanks for bringing it up. have you all revamped the listing on your site or something?

We are working on including specific manufacturers, but its not as simple as one may think. For the interim, all products do have in the "additional Notes" field

All of our parts meet and or exceed the rigorous standards set forth by the vehicle manufacturers. Looking for the equivalent OEM product or particular brand you don't see listed here? Email us for a quote.

Archived