Volvospeed Forums

2001 S-80 Water Pump Install Desperate Help

TLsdad

Had an over heating problem, see previous post on 2001 S-80 non- turbo. Found the water pump impeller free spinning on the shaft afterI took it off the engine. Water pump is a GEBA brand pump with a plastic impeller.. This pump only has 33K miles on it.. and was changed out with the timing belt by a High end garage in Peachtree City Georgia....

Here's my problem. I had a very difficult time getting the pump up and out of the hole, actually brought the pump up between the fender well and the engine, had to remove the tensioners and idler pully and still had to force it. broke several impeller blades off getting it out of the hole. I know the new one will not fit back down the same way, which has a metal impeller. Does the rear plastic side cover which is part of the timing belt cover come off, I'm talking about the plastic lower side half of the timeing cover on the fire wall side of the engine. Looks like if I can get that plastic cover off the engine I can get the to pump come in betweenn the fire wall and the rear side of the engine.. I'm desperate to know from the experts as to how to get the new pump back down in the hole..

Thanks

:(

Had an over heating problem, see previous post on 2001 S-80 non- turbo. Found the water pump impeller free spinning on the shaft afterI took it off the engine. Water pump is a GEBA brand pump with a plastic impeller.. This pump only has 33K miles on it.. and was changed out with the timing belt by a High end garage in Peachtree City Georgia....

Here's my problem. I had a very difficult time getting the pump up and out of the hole, actually brought the pump up between the fender well and the engine, had to remove the tensioners and idler pully and still had to force it. broke several impeller blades off getting it out of the hole. I know the new one will not fit back down the same way, which has a metal impeller. Does the rear plastic side cover which is part of the timing belt cover come off, I'm talking about the plastic lower side half of the timeing cover on the fire wall side of the engine. Looks like if I can get that plastic cover off the engine I can get the to pump come in betweenn the fire wall and the rear side of the engine.. I'm desperate to know from the experts as to how to get the new pump back down in the hole..

Thanks

:(

HAH!! I win again!!! I already responded to your other post! Anyway I drop the pump out from the bottom! They are a PITA just take your time and try not to get upset.

;)

HAH!! I win again!!! I already responded to your other post! Anyway I drop the pump out from the bottom! They are a PITA just take your time and try not to get upset.

;)

Does the harmonic balancer need to come off to get the pump back in place?

;)

:o no kidding?

do oem pumps have this issue or just aftermarket units?

dam'n!

i've seen impellers put on backwards on ocassion which will barely move coolant and give you a doozy of a headache... but this is a new one on me... plastic???

dam'n!

:o no kidding?

do oem pumps have this issue or just aftermarket units?

dam'n!

i've seen impellers put on backwards on ocassion which will barely move coolant and give you a doozy of a headache... but this is a new one on me... plastic???

dam'n!

Yup, plastic impeller, pump is a German manufacture GEBA, and I would have expected something better from a German manufacture that that. I have a VW Diesel and some of the water pumps used on that engine use plastic impellers on the water pumps with similar compalints.

In this case on my S-80 looks like the end of the shaft has a spline and the plastic impeller is press fit over the spline, looks like the plastic female spline just came loose and striped out. Might have something to do with the differential expansion between the metal shaft and the plastic. The idiot that designed this should be water boarded.....

Lesson's learned NEVER, I mean NEVER put a water pump on an engine with that has a plastic impeller. I think that applies to all engines..

:angry:

Archived