Volvospeed Forums

1998 V70 Ashtray Lamp?

beadgc23

stop laughing.... <_<

I keep my toll money in the ashtray and the light is out - much fumbling and cursing ensues. So I bought a new lamp and after fruitless searching I still can't find out how to extract the dead bulb. I can pry off the green cover but that's it. Any hints or suggestions?

stop laughing.... <_<

I keep my toll money in the ashtray and the light is out - much fumbling and cursing ensues. So I bought a new lamp and after fruitless searching I still can't find out how to extract the dead bulb. I can pry off the green cover but that's it. Any hints or suggestions?

Toll change my ass :lol: I'll bet its roaches your lookin for. Get a mini mag.

There is NOTHING in Vadis about the ashtray light, except in the parts catalog, which shows a replacement with two tabs on it

I don't know what the harness looks like but it looks like it should pop out.

OK, just did mine in about 30 minutes. If I had to do it again, it would take about five. The Haynes manual was pretty useless, so here you go.

1. Put the car in L and pull pull the ashtray out. It comes right out without any fasteners.

2. Unscrew the two T-25 bolts holding the rest of the ashtray mechanism in place. You see them on the left and right. Pull this piece out of the way. It comes right out.

IMG_4357.jpg

3. Pull out the stereo, but don't unhook the wires. Reach behind the stereo to pop the hazard switch out the front of the console. You can put the stereo back in place now. You can see the ashtray light bulb holder in this pic. it's just below the hazard switch.

IMG_4361.jpg

4. Disconnect the wires to the bulb.

5. Now, you want to get the light bulb holder out of its spot. The light bulb holder is right under the hazard switch hole. It looks like this.

IMG_4363.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

This is the hard part. It doesn't want to move because there are a couple of metal 'v' indents on it from the factory. I just pushed straight back on the metal holder / light bulb with my T-25 driver through the hazard switch hole. It didn't want to come out straight. I pushed on the driver's side part and it swiveled out enough that the whole piece came out.

Once out, just pull the old bulb out of the holder with some pliers and put the new bulb in the metal holder. Put the wires on the bulb and push the metal clip back in position.

Done and done.

I tried to use needle nose to pull out the bulb with it in place, but couldn't get the right angle. Since I didn't really know how it all went together until after I pulled it out, I was afraid to press my luck.

If you used a set that were twisted / offset you might be able to get it. You just wiggle the bulb towards the driver's side to get it out, but it's in there way too tight to do it by hand. Even if you try to extract it in place, popping the hazard switch is nice because you have a much better view of what you're doing.

Either way, this should be a 5-10 minute job.

Salt. Lots and lots of salt. Honestly, I don't know why they bother with salt here in Michigan. They should just drop hot asphalt off of the trucks during snow storms to fill in the potholes.

Salt. Lots and lots of salt. Honestly, I don't know why they bother with salt here in Michigan. They should just drop hot asphalt off of the trucks during snow storms to fill in the potholes.

:(:lol:

They go crazy with the salt around here too at times.....it sure can be filthy.

OK, just did mine in about 30 minutes. If I had to do it again, it would take about five. The Haynes manual was pretty useless, so here you go.

1. Put the car in L and pull pull the ashtray out. It comes right out without any fasteners.

2. Unscrew the two T-25 bolts holding the rest of the ashtray mechanism in place. You see them on the left and right. Pull this piece out of the way. It comes right out.

IMG_4357.jpg

3. Pull out the stereo, but don't unhook the wires. Reach behind the stereo to pop the hazard switch out the front of the console. You can put the stereo back in place now. You can see the ashtray light bulb holder in this pic. it's just below the hazard switch.

IMG_4361.jpg

4. Disconnect the wires to the bulb.

5. Now, you want to get the light bulb holder out of its spot. The light bulb holder is right under the hazard switch hole. It looks like this.

IMG_4363.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

This is the hard part. It doesn't want to move because there are a couple of metal 'v' indents on it from the factory. I just pushed straight back on the metal holder / light bulb with my T-25 driver through the hazard switch hole. It didn't want to come out straight. I pushed on the driver's side part and it swiveled out enough that the whole piece came out.

Once out, just pull the old bulb out of the holder with some pliers and put the new bulb in the metal holder. Put the wires on the bulb and push the metal clip back in position.

Done and done.

Brilliant a2matt. Nice pics and a good tutorial. Didnt mean to sound like a smart ass about the roaches. Just my nature after 8 beers. i love this place.

Thank you for this great information! Now, the next question is where to get the replacement bulb.

It looks like the smallest ones under my moms sac had....I just grabbed a set the other week to replace my cig lighter bulbs.....174 or something maybe? I can't remember the exact type but I do know they're the smallest they offer.

It looks like the smallest ones Pepgirls had....I just grabbed a set the other week to replace my cig lighter bulbs.....174 or something maybe? I can't remember the exact type but I do know they're the smallest they offer.

I just went to the dealer today...about $8.00. The design has changed from the original...there is plastic between the two connection prongs and they're smaller, but it worked just the same. It's the same bulb they sell for the gear shift indicator.

I just went to the dealer today...about $8.00. The design has changed from the original...there is plastic between the two connection prongs and they're smaller, but it worked just the same. It's the same bulb they sell for the gear shift indicator.

Interesting....so that's a "dealer only" bulb then?

Archived