Volvospeed Forums

Strut Stud Broken Off....

Brad850

Ok so as i was putting my strut brace back on, I somehow broke one of the studs clean off and now there's just a hole there. I know I have to get this fixed but is it safe to drive the car with it just broken off?? And what exactly do i have to get replaced? Thanks

I've never installed a strut brace but from what I gather, that stud is part of the strut mount. Is it the three studs poke up from underneath, and one of them broke? The mount may need to be replaced I'm not sure, its possible you could put a new stud in there but I probably wouldn't. At the least you will need to remove and disassemble the strut tower, whether you replace the mount or are able to fix it. Might as well replace it at that point, it would be a PITA to find out the repair job didn't take and have to do it again.

I don't think it is dangerous if one of the three is broken, but you should get it fixed soon. Over time the strut mount could get loose and wobble and get messed up.

I've never installed a strut brace but from what I gather, that stud is part of the strut mount. Is it the three studs poke up from underneath, and one of them broke? The mount may need to be replaced I'm not sure, its possible you could put a new stud in there but I probably wouldn't. At the least you will need to remove and disassemble the strut tower, whether you replace the mount or are able to fix it. Might as well replace it at that point, it would be a PITA to find out the repair job didn't take and have to do it again.

I don't think it is dangerous if one of the three is broken, but you should get it fixed soon. Over time the strut mount could get loose and wobble and get messed up.

Yea it is one of the three studs <_< . I'm going to replace it asap i just wanted to know if it was safe driving with it for now. Thank you!!

If you do it yourself, between $50 and $80 for the strut mount (depending on aftermarket vs. Volvo branded) plus a few hours of your time.

If you take it to a shop, it will cost a lot. Ball park I'm going to guess $250, thinking $100 for the part, plus 2 hours of labor. No it won't take 2 hours but they'll probably charge that. It is exactly the same labor as replacing one strut. Strut tower out, disassemble, reassemble, reinstall. See http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut/.

Just replace the stud

Volvo PN

It need to be pressed in, but its not all that difficult. A couple pairs of Vice grips will get it done.

References: Vadis for a 96 850 turbo.

Ryan

REDNECK FIX: On my old war wagon (95 saturn sw2) I snapped one of the 3 strut studs flush, I just welded the remaining end of the stud to the surrounding metal. Now I am getting ready to replace the struts again so I will just have a few minutes of grindind the weld off and back to business.

Ok so as i was putting my strut brace back on, I somehow broke one of the studs clean off and now there's just a hole there. I know I have to get this fixed but is it safe to drive the car with it just broken off?? And what exactly do i have to get replaced? Thanks

Like Meat Loaf said "2 out of 3 aint bad. Its ok to drive like that. Once fixed, remember not to give those bolts the "gorilla torque" treatment. Many folks over torque because is a suspension part and is holding up the car. However, keep in mind its only a puny 10mm bolt. It doesnt take much to break off.

Cheers,

Ricky

Like Meat Loaf said "2 out of 3 aint bad. Its ok to drive like that. Once fixed, remember not to give those bolts the "gorilla torque" treatment. Many folks over torque because is a suspension part and is holding up the car. However, keep in mind its only a puny 10mm bolt. It doesnt take much to break off.

Cheers,

Ricky

Bingo...seems like those only require ~18ft/lbs...which is not much more than snug...use locktite blue on em if your worried.

Archived