Volvospeed Forums

Clutch Release Bearing

How much noise does your's make? I just noticed a slight noise coming from mine, not the sound of one that has failed, just a tiny bit of rattling when the clutch is engaged and the car is idling. I can only hear it when the car is parked, my door is open, and there isn't much ambient noise other than the idling engine. It's not loud or alarming but you know when you start thinking a noise is bad and then it just runs away in your mind that it's going to be a major job and you get carried away? I hate that. Maybe it's all in my head. Not asking for a diagnosis, just comparisons. If I recorded the noise you probably wouldn't even be able to hear it over the motor running.

BTW it's a Sachs release bearing from eeuroparts (and I have an external slave cylinder and a single mass flywheel, not sure if the part is different for the newer ones with the internal slave and the dual mass flywheel)

Mine makes a slight noise too under the same conditions (idle, trans in neutral, clutch engaged) but I'm not sure if it is the throwout bearing or some play in one of the bearings on the input shaft in the trans. I was a little worried when I first heard it but it hasnt gotten any worse and it doesnt sound like a bearing on the way out.

Joe

Mine makes a slight noise too under the same conditions (idle, trans in neutral, clutch engaged) but I'm not sure if it is the throwout bearing or some play in one of the bearings on the input shaft in the trans. I was a little worried when I first heard it but it hasnt gotten any worse and it doesnt sound like a bearing on the way out.

Joe

if it sounds like a not so badly knocking engine (oxymoron?) in those conditions I am almost positive that it's the release bearing. it stops when I hit the clutch pedal. if it happens to you too and it's not gone bad then that makes me happy!

if it sounds like a not so badly knocking engine (oxymoron?) in those conditions I am almost positive that it's the release bearing. it stops when I hit the clutch pedal. if it happens to you too and it's not gone bad then that makes me happy!

Yeah that is the sound and it does stop when I hit the clutch pedal. I first noticed it about 4months ago and the noise hasnt changed any. I didnt think it was the release bearing becuase I installed it new in October and the trans has 170K+ on it. Either way I dont worry about it anymore.

I have the exact same noise in my car when the car is in neutral and my foot is not on the clutch.

It's done it pretty much since the car became a stick shift. I suspect a bad release bearing although I bought a brand new one from eEuroparts (Sachs) when doing the swap. Maybe it was a bad batch.

I have the exact same noise in my car when the car is in neutral and my foot is not on the clutch.

It's done it pretty much since the car became a stick shift. I suspect a bad release bearing although I bought a brand new one from eEuroparts (Sachs) when doing the swap. Maybe it was a bad batch.

well it's not loud though so it doesn't sound like it failed, everything feels completely normal too. i just hope it's not failing because that's a hell of a lot of hours of work for a 45 dollar part after 10000 miles. at least I have a bicycle now for back up :) i'm not worried though.

what's weird is i thought i heard it after i completed my engine swap/clutch job etc. last year, then it went away, then i heard it today after driving my car 60 miles, and i drove my car to work at 4:30pm and didn't hear it when i turned it on...

Mine isn't loud either and doesn't feel odd in any way. There is no chatter in the take-up of the clutch when engaging gears or anything it's just audible outside the car when you have it in neutral if you were standing next to it.

Mine isn't loud either and doesn't feel odd in any way. There is no chatter in the take-up of the clutch when engaging gears or anything it's just audible outside the car when you have it in neutral if you were standing next to it.

hmm, i hope i won't have to take up a warranty claim with eeuroparts because i really don't want to get in there with a floor jack and jack stands again

I'm not sure if mine did it from the start or not. I didn't notice the noise until the Spring when I had my window rolled down more often. Its most noticeable when parked next to another car/object for the sound to reflect off of. Its barely audible when if there is nothing around to reflect the sound. I don't recall what brand mine was, I am assuming it was Sachs as well. I bought it from Waltrip so I'm sure it's the right one. It is a bit different than the used one I got with my swap kit.

Here are a couple pics comparing the two.

gallery_21301_415_439947.jpg

gallery_21301_415_205225.jpg

Yep - the Volvo one is a Sachs one - same thing. When I got my M58 it came with the original release bearing stuck on it and it said Volvo/Sachs so I was comfortable getting the Sachs one from eEuroparts.

Someday when I actually bother to put in a proper turbo flywheel, I'll replace the bearing with a Genuine Volvo one.

Joe

Joe, just so ya know, it is easy to differentiate noise fron the to bearing and the input shaft bearing. The to bearing, if is bad, makes noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. And the input bearing makes noise, if it is bad,

when the pedal is up. That is because the input shaft stops spinning when ya press the clutch pedal down.

Archived