Volvospeed Forums

Vibration Under Acceleration

T5wagon1717

Hey,

So, I have this vibration under acceleration. Its not the wheels or anything, it only happens under acceleration, especially at lower rpm, but it does it under higher power too. Its pretty violant though. I really don't know what it could be.

CV joints?

I did the top stabilizer mount last week, which did help, but needed to be replaced anyway.

99 S70 glt.

I hope this isn't harming the car in anyway.

Thanks.

~Teal

alright.

Are they that difficult to do, I noticed on ipd they were like 175 each with an axel. I just replaced an axel and both tie rods last month.

Any tips on picking these bad boys up?

figure out which one has a problem if it is the problem. an empi axle from fcpgroton runs $110. raxles run $150. ipd axles are solid but you can get good axles cheaper. do you hear snap crackle pop at all? noises are common with failing cv joints. maybe an axle is bent or something. before you go spending money figure out the problem though. it very well could be an engine mount (much cheaper). whatever it is, the jobs aren't complicated.

figure out which one has a problem if it is the problem. an empi axle from fcpgroton runs $110. raxles run $150. ipd axles are solid but you can get good axles cheaper. do you hear snap crackle pop at all? noises are common with failing cv joints. maybe an axle is bent or something. before you go spending money figure out the problem though. it very well could be an engine mount (much cheaper). whatever it is, the jobs aren't complicated.

It makes a clunk kind of thing from going from park to reverse.

but mainly no noise, just shaking under acceleration.

How would I know which thing it is??

Sounds like the axles. If you coast and it doesn't vibrate then it could be mounts and/or axles. The front mount near the accessories belts can cause vibration too. So can the firewall mount. But vibration under low acceleration sounds like the axles.

Good luck

Yeah, I had my tie rods replaced about 3 months ago, and they replaced the right axel when they did that cause the boot was broken.

IDK, the boot is leaking a little on one of the cv joints, so I'm thinking it could be that.

Would these be ok joints?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-C70-S70-V70-1997-99-2-OUTER-CV-JOINT-KIT-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3354b2cd53QQitemZ220464336211QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1348wt_941

Thanks,

~Teal

My money is also on the engine mount on the pass side just inside the skirt. Does not sound like axles to me.

I'm gonna agree with you there. The tie rods are new, and the cv joints look brand new with no leaking. However, my steering rack boost is leaking, and has some grease kicked up under the car, but that wouldn't effect the acceleration.

So, engine mount it is.

• 2 weeks later...

If axle is bad, how to determine which one is bad ? My car recently also have vibration under low speed acceleration, not all the times but can be felt during the long traffic jam (stop and go) condition. Otherwise, no vibration at all. It feel like when the tranny is in 2nd or 3rd gear during the acceleration. Regular cursing speed, no vibration at all. I checked the CV boots, no leak. I will check all the engine mounts. My car's axles are still the original set and the mileage of the car is about 217k miles.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

Update: I looked at the both axles this morning and saw that the driver side outer CV boot is ripped apart. It looked like that not much grease is left inside the CV joint. I will either replace the CV boot or replace the whole axle.

Ching-Ho Cheng

Ha! I just replaced the right axle (empi) and the wheel bearing on my 96 850R cuz the cv boot was ripped, however I changed them like 2 weeks ago, oh i forgot to mention I did an aligment after the installation, and i'm having the same problem ( vibration from low to mid rpm's) as the mate that is asking for advice, the next thing that i'm gonna check might be the lower mounts and possibly the subframe mounts, unless someone else suggests something else....

Archived