Volvospeed Forums

Mac Or Pc

Commander Riker

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure if we've had this... but I'm sure as we've even gained people since I've been around... it's time to start this pissing match.

And go! :D

EDIT: I have a MacBook Pro 17" Unibody with Snow Leopard 10.6.1, if anyone cares. Also, Macs are what I do, and I can get them for anyone outside of Kentucky for retail, no tax, no shipping. :ph34r:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2000 Spring iMac DV SE MAC OS9.5 & MAC OS X 10.3.9 512 memory

Panther( Who else has run a computer daily for almost 10 years? )

Brand new 1 week old MacBook, Mac OS 10.6.1 4G memory

Mighty Mouse

Not at all surprised to find the high proportion of Mac owners - there's a strong parallel between Volvo & Apple design intelligence IMHO. The more I use WinTel machines, the more I'm turned off by the careless build decisions and cost cutting. Yep, Macs cost more, you get what you pay for.

( Who else has run a computer daily for almost 10 years? )

Me. And make that 20. Currently own Macbook Pro, Macbook, 24" iMac (Twin Screen) and a G5 server at home, GF runs a Macbook Air (sweet machine) Plus a 20+ MacPro network running Final Cut Pro & all the Adobe horrors. And...3 iPhones in the family. Mine does all my in-car audio, video & SatNav, shortly the OBDII too if I can force myself to hand over $150 for the OBD WiFi dongle. I stopped jonesing for a CarPC when I realized I already had one and it lived in my pocket.

I bleed 7 colors...

I know the new macs come with the ability to have windows and mac software on them. I like PC's because they work with the stuff I have to do in class. Just depends on what you want to do with them. Gaming I would say PC, Photo editing and things like that Mac

The most powerful edit machines I have worked on have been PC or 'nix based. FCP doesn't come close.

I've also run PC broadcast servers (4 machines) with up-times of 500 days+ (thats no reboots) each.

Sure, you get what you pay for, a PC off the shelf is probably a POS, but a purpose built machine, with the right parts, will get the job done everytime.

The most powerful edit machines I have worked on have been PC or 'nix based. FCP doesn't come close.

I've also run PC broadcast servers (4 machines) with up-times of 500 days+ (thats no reboots) each.

Sure, you get what you pay for, a PC off the shelf is probably a POS, but a purpose built machine, with the right parts, will get the job done everytime.

If you're training editors, FCP wins for stability over Premiere every time - and Avid is Avid ('nuff said) Anything else is too expensive for classroom use. All the gigs here in NYC seem to want FCP experience.

WinTel

FYI Macs use intel now.

Which, makes the whole argument about them being superior movie editing machines, moot. Same chipset, only thing different at this point is the OS. Which equates to you paying 1000$ more for the OS.

Windows/Linux is fine. What do you think Mac OS is based off of? *cough* UNIX *cough*

What does anyone who goes further then searching the internet on a computer also run on a mac?

*cough* LINUX *cough*

listen..it comes down to windows is just as fine as long as you know how to customize it. If you dont, then you wont get from it. I can build a computer that has much much more power then a mac. Can you build me a mac with the same? very unlikely, and for a much higher price. You think build quality is different? Ones a laptop, ones a PC. Laptop wise, they do a good job on the structure, but, its not much better then my thinkpad. PC wise, i think anyone here whose actually designed and built a computer, will admit they can make something to top a Mac very easily for near half the price.

Now for video editing i'd still probably stick to a mac cause theyve based that OS to be expertise with it for this long. No arguement there, thats always been their main focus group. I don't do video editing, but, i imagine a mac hasn't changed in this aspect.

Problem is alot of you are comparing name brand creations ('dell, gateway, sony, etc etc') which is the manufacturer of the computer. Thats not windoze fault, thats cheap brands. Come to a desktop, build it yourself, you'll experience 0 problems. Assuming you know what your doing and understand what will work with what.

This T42 i own now, is what i wish all my other laptops were like. Ive kicked and beat up this thing, no issues. most ive had was the fan die and thats easily replaceable...

Oh, and if you want to get into ipods, just remember, when the ipod breaks it gives you a frowning face =p Oh and if you want to know why it breaks to begin with, take one apart. Poor poor engineering.

Of course, its everyone's preference. No issue if you use a mac or you don't, but can't say that ones superior :)

FYI Macs use intel now.

Which, makes the whole argument about them being superior movie editing machines, moot. Same chipset, only thing different at this point is the OS. Which equates to you paying 1000$ more for the OS.

Windows/Linux is fine. What do you think Mac OS is based off of? *cough* UNIX *cough*

What does anyone who goes further then searching the internet on a computer also run on a mac?

*cough* LINUX *cough*

listen..it comes down to windows is just as fine as long as you know how to customize it. If you dont, then you wont get from it. I can build a computer that has much much more power then a mac. Can you build me a mac with the same? very unlikely, and for a much higher price. You think build quality is different? Ones a laptop, ones a PC. Laptop wise, they do a good job on the structure, but, its not much better then my thinkpad. PC wise, i think anyone here whose actually designed and built a computer, will admit they can make something to top a Mac very easily for near half the price.

Now for video editing i'd still probably stick to a mac cause theyve based that OS to be expertise with it for this long. No arguement there, thats always been their main focus group. I don't do video editing, but, i imagine a mac hasn't changed in this aspect.

Problem is alot of you are comparing name brand creations ('dell, gateway, sony, etc etc') which is the manufacturer of the computer. Thats not windoze fault, thats cheap brands. Come to a desktop, build it yourself, you'll experience 0 problems. Assuming you know what your doing and understand what will work with what.

This T42 i own now, is what i wish all my other laptops were like. Ive kicked and beat up this thing, no issues. most ive had was the fan die and thats easily replaceable...

Oh, and if you want to get into ipods, just remember, when the ipod breaks it gives you a frowning face =p Oh and if you want to know why it breaks to begin with, take one apart. Poor poor engineering.

Of course, its everyone's preference. No issue if you use a mac or you don't, but can't say that ones superior :)

I believe each system serves a purpose. Also, each is a very different experience. While I will give you that Apple charges too much for their hardware, their software is worth every penny. The OS has been pretty well polished, and is extremely efficient on many different systems. The installation of the Mac OS vs Windows is night and day. All drivers are preloaded. One install... you're done. No seperate USB, ethernet, wireless, video, cd/dvd drivers needed.

Being somewhat of a nerd (quite a bit, actually) the *NIX platform is where it's at. This simple change Apple made to a pre-existing standard (Darwin, BSD) in 2000 was the best move they could have ever made. It's what made the Mac what it is today. I've been working on them since O.S. 7.6.1-9.2.2, which wasn't UNIX based, and that stuff sucked.

It is appealing to many of my clients who switch to not have to deal with windows viruses anymore. That alone is a huge reason why I feel Microsoft is archaic.

Again, not trying to pee on each other's fires here, just giving my .02. All opinions respected.

"This simple change Apple made to a pre-existing standard (Darwin, BSD) in 2000 was the best move they could have ever made. It's what made the Mac what it is today. I've been working on them since O.S. 7.6.1-9.2.2, which wasn't UNIX based, and that stuff sucked."

I Remember when I first got Mac O.S. 7.6.1 installed on my Quadra 610 DOS.

It was the most stable, quickest,intuitive OS yet.Ha,

I kinda miss Motorola, in a sense that it had a long history with Apple.

To me, at the time of the switch, it was like putting a Ford 5.0 engine in a Volvo 245.

Not necessarily a bad thing,but..

just my 2 cents.

Archived