Volvospeed Forums

Ptc Removal

TurboedVolvo

Hey all, :lol: My buddies got him a 97 volvo 850 t5 and we think his PTC is clogged but I dont want to fck his sht up,

So I call unto you volvo people!

How duz I remove it? :ph34r:

Please respond quickly were sitting here waiting for people to!

PS We already tryed searching...

Remove the clamp and pull the hose off. If the PCV system is original you will probably break the large plastic hose, not many ways around it.

Edit: Usually the small nipple on the PTC gets clogged, so pull the vacuum elbow off first and try cleaning that.

I mean the actual PTC can I just pull it out of the intake hose? Or no

I mean the actual PTC can I just pull it out of the intake hose? Or no

It may be possible, but I don't recommend it. The rubber that holds it into the accordion intake tube is likely deteriorated and will be very difficult to get back in without removing the accordion tube. I ended up taking of the intake tube off to get it back in and I still had to use some silicon caulk to get all of the leaks taken care of. If I were to do it again, I would leave it in the intake tube and remove the intake tube and clean it that way.

You could try removing the vacuum line and take a small drill bit and see if you can clean it out by hand first.

Removing the PTC from the intake tube doesn't buy you anything.

Just remove the intake tube between the MAF and the turbo, then clean the PTC with brake cleaner and something small like a drill bit to make sure it is clear.

Be careful what you use to clean it. I used a carb cleaner which ended up eating the rubber gasket pretty bad. I don't remeber exactly the brand, but do a search on the forum and you'll find comments about this issue. My advice would be to use something like simple green or other mild cleaner. Others can chime in if they have more specific info.

I used a generic degreaser, but the rubber was pretty deteriorated when I started. I can't say if it made the rubber worse or not. If I had to do it again, I would have never removed it from the intake tube. I had to use silicon to try to make it air tight.

Archived