Volvospeed Forums

Lifting An Xc70

gotboost

So I'm debating lifting my '98 XC70 about 1-1.5". Reason is two-fold. First...because I think it would look badass. Second...because with my 205/16/60 tires mounted I was getting some rubbing over the bumps with 5 people in the car. It'd be nice to not have that happen.

Here's what I'm thinking at this point:

Rear: Use some spacers similar to what people are using to lower their AWD cars by tricking the Nivos, but put them on the top side of the stock mount rather than beneath it.

Front: Less sure here what to do, but I'm thinking if I have a 1-1.5" spacer machined that I can bolt to the three upper strut mount studs that also has three studs with the exact same spacing, I could just use it the same way people use thicker wheel spacers or wheel adapters. This would allow the car to maintain the factory suspension travel and I would think feel completely stock...at least when going straight. Might need some camber adjustment bolts depending on how far out of whack it sets the camber.

Any thoughts or concerns about this plan?

So I'm debating lifting my '98 XC70 about 1-1.5". Reason is two-fold. First...because I think it would look badass. Second...because with my 205/16/60 tires mounted I was getting some rubbing over the bumps with 5 people in the car. It'd be nice to not have that happen.

Here's what I'm thinking at this point:

Rear: Use some spacers similar to what people are using to lower their AWD cars by tricking the Nivos, but put them on the top side of the stock mount rather than beneath it.

Front: Less sure here what to do, but I'm thinking if I have a 1-1.5" spacer machined that I can bolt to the three upper strut mount studs that also has three studs with the exact same spacing, I could just use it the same way people use thicker wheel spacers or wheel adapters. This would allow the car to maintain the factory suspension travel and I would think feel completely stock...at least when going straight. Might need some camber adjustment bolts depending on how far out of whack it sets the camber.

Any thoughts or concerns about this plan?

would be interesting to see. I've wondered about putting spacers on the mounts too, seems like it would work except you'll be extending the shock out and may loose some control same as if you did it to a truck with stock shocks.

would be interesting to see. I've wondered about putting spacers on the mounts too, seems like it would work except you'll be extending the shock out and may loose some control same as if you did it to a truck with stock shocks.

I don't think the front strut would know any different, because the spacer would be mounted on top of the strut mount. I would think the strut would essentially have the same amount of travel and be at the same extension when sitting on the ground. Maybe I'm not following what you're saying though.

too much space up front you will have axle issues... just like if you lower the car too much. get some fatty sways if you are going to raise it to help with stability.

I agree. I think it should be ok if I only do 1-1.5" though...especially if I just do an inch. I can't imagine that would cause too extreme of an angle. Now I just need to find someone that can machine the front spacers. :D

As far as the sways go, I don't want to loose too much of the independence in the suspension. But I don't want to feel like I'm going to fall out the window going around turns either. Anybody know if the R's had thicker sway bars than the XC's?

As far as the sways go, I don't want to loose too much of the independence in the suspension. But I don't want to feel like I'm going to fall out the window going around turns either. Anybody know if the R's had thicker sway bars than the XC's?

I'm almost positive the R and XC have the same sways, but I'm not quite sure. Either way, IPD bars would be a good option

Cool. Just PM'd Dongle and he's making me a set of 1.5" spacers for the rear. If anybody owns a machine shop or knows somebody that could make some spacers for the front, please PM me. Otherwise I'm going to have to start making calls to some local shops.

A couple of years ago I was part of a project where we lifted a p2 XC70 11"

4" of static lift and 7" of bags.

Looking back on that project and considering what you are looking at I would suggest making spacers for everywhere the suspension touches the chassis similar to what we did on the project car.

This provides the best in ride quality and suspension geometry.

So spacers would be needed at the four front subframe bushings and the rear four subframe bushings.

You'll need to space out the center bearing on the driveshaft to keep the working angles correct.

Extend the steering column to account for the front subframe drop.

Coolant lines and wiring harness should handle 1-1.5 inch drop without modification.

Space off the front and rear strut mounts to the body, simple stantion spacers should do it.

Will need some slight adjustment to the exhaust but it's minor for a lift under 2 inches.

You'll need to adjust the intercooler plumbing as the engine will end up lower since it rests on the subframe which will be lowered.

As I recall both the brake lines and the e-brake lines will flex enough to account for the lift.

Might be other stuff I'm forgetting but it seems like an eternity ago we did this so my memory is a bit foggy.

Cool. Just PM'd Dongle and he's making me a set of 1.5" spacers for the rear. If anybody owns a machine shop or knows somebody that could make some spacers for the front, please PM me. Otherwise I'm going to have to start making calls to some local shops.

Problem with that is the rear spacers already go ON TOP of the lower shock mounts to LOWER the car :D

Problem with that is the rear spacers already go ON TOP of the lower shock mounts to LOWER the car :D

That doesn't make sense. The Nivomats want to always basically be extended to a predetermined length. If you raise the lower mounting point, the nivos will still try to find their equilibrium and push the body of the car up higher. All the pics of the lowering spacers show them mounted beneath the stock shock mounts.

That doesn't make sense. The Nivomats want to always basically be extended to a predetermined length. If you raise the lower mounting point, the nivos will still try to find their equilibrium and push the body of the car up higher. All the pics of the lowering spacers show them mounted beneath on top of the stock shock mounts.

Exactly, and corrected. The lower nivo mount is underneath the control arm. You would need to move the nivomat to the topside of the control arm, thereby causing the extension to push the arm away, raising the car. Adding spacers between the mount& the arm has the effect of pulling the arm UP, which lowers the car. Trust me, I've done this with my TME springs & foolers.

in order to maintain usable geometry longer lower control are will be needed in the front. Also as mentioned longer axles. PM me if u want I have a good deal of Off-road exprience (crew chief for a SCORE class 9 buggy, and pit crew for a class 16). It will not be as simple as using spacers if you want to be able to fully take advantage of the lift, even just an inch and a half.

in order to maintain usable geometry longer lower control are will be needed in the front. Also as mentioned longer axles. PM me if u want I have a good deal of Off-road exprience (crew chief for a SCORE class 9 buggy, and pit crew for a class 16). It will not be as simple as using spacers if you want to be able to fully take advantage of the lift, even just an inch and a half.

Would the longer lower control arms be necessary if I also installed spacers between the body and the front and rear subframes as Lucky said above? It seems that would line everything back up.

You're correct, no length change required if you space off all body to suspension connection points. A bit more work though.

If I ever get my hands on another XC70 I might just build another lift for it and send the wife off to the grocery store :lol:

Archived