Volvospeed Forums

2001 V70 2.4T Idle Surge

coastie

My 2001 V70 2.4T has a bad idle surge (550 to 1100 rpm) which causes a rough downshift when starting off. If I hold the accelerator peddle to about 750 rpm the surge goes away. The dealer said it is caused by sticking valves in the transmission and wanted about $4K to fix. I have a hard time believing this. I did have the tranny flushed. The car has 150K miles on it. How do I adjust the idle speed? Any suggestions or has anyone had this problem and what fixed it?

Yes, welcome to the wonderful world of Volvo. This is tremendously common, search for ETM articles. Mine surging throttle turned out to be a MAF gone bad.

Mine was the ETM. Typical problem was idle surging, and then sometimes it wanted to die when I can to a light and let it idle. Second time this has been replaced for this car, each lasted about 75,000 miles (I am second owner, so both of us have had this fixed on our watch). Didn't have a check engine light at first. Then it finally came on, and the system was full of messages about not being able to communicate. Had to replace the throttle pedal, which fixed it for a few miles, then 2 weeks later, back again, and even though we didn't get the "death" codes for the ETM, factory rep finally agreed to replace it, and if that solved the problem, it was warranty. If not, it went back, and I paid labor. Worked, so it got fixed. Next time, Xemodem will be the solution.

Archived