Volvospeed Forums

1994 850 Turbo Died While Driving, Won'T Start

gulfan

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo

201,000 Miles

Calgary, AB

Outside temp is 6c, 43f

Car ran fine for previous 20 minutes of highway driving. After heavy acceleration, car stalled and died. Engine would crank over, however would not start. Tachometer would bounce around ever so little off the pin, but would not start. Unplugged the battery, waited a few minutes, tried again and nothing.

Next morning I went back to the car and tried to start it, as if it was flooded and no difference. Pulled the codes and I got the following:

3-2-2 Wrong gear value

3-1-3 Faulty signal from PNP

5-4-3 Misfire on at least one cylinder

4-5-2 Misfire cylinder 2

5-4-2 Misfire on more than one cylinder

I reset the codes and tried starting the car again, nothing. I moved the gear selector from P – L 15 times or so, tried again nothing, checked the fuses, all fine. I also removed the fuel relay and jumped 13 to 87, but nothing. Checked the codes again but nothing popped up.

I replaced the camshaft position sensor last year after having trouble starting. PNP switch has given me troubles over the years, but the third gear problem disappeared after a day. It’s given me the flashing light maybe twice over the last 5 years. Never did replace the PNP switch.

Not really too sure what to look at? Sparkplugs are 4 years old, not sure when the caps, cables and rotor were last replaced. Not sure if it’s getting fuel or spark? Starter was replaced a few months ago. Little motor near the throttle body is on when in POSII. Intercooler plumbing didn't collapse. Looked at the timing belt and it appeared intact.

After I cleared the codes and tried starting it again, no new codes came back. Not too sure where to start, any ideas?

Fuel pump or relay. Turn the key on and have someone listen to the tank for the pump to cycle. Or if you have no help, turn the key and then depress the valve on the end of the fuel rail, it should squirt out.

Fuel pump or relay. Turn the key on and have someone listen to the tank for the pump to cycle. Or if you have no help, turn the key and then depress the valve on the end of the fuel rail, it should squirt out.

I took the throttle body cover off and and pressed the schrader valve, no gas sprayed out only a little bit of air. When turning the car into POS II, the fuel pump relay ticked, however the fuel pump made no sound at all. I folded down the back seat and removed the carpet near the trunk. Under the two covers there was quite a bit of dirt / dust. With someone listening again and touching them, while trying to start the car there was no sound or motion.

Would this be the fuel pump being dead? Is this an easy fix (not too much experience)?

I took the throttle body cover off and and pressed the schrader valve, no gas sprayed out only a little bit of air. When turning the car into POS II, the fuel pump relay ticked, however the fuel pump made no sound at all. I folded down the back seat and removed the carpet near the trunk. Under the two covers there was quite a bit of dirt / dust. With someone listening again and touching them, while trying to start the car there was no sound or motion.

Would this be the fuel pump being dead? Is this an easy fix (not too much experience)?

IIRC, you can access the fuel pump through the trunk

IIRC, you can access the fuel pump through the trunk

Yes... Under the carpet right behind the passengers side back seat there is a silver cover with 4 10mm nuts, take that off use a flat screw driver and a hammer to take the big plastic ring off. The two lines have quick connect style fittings in them, push down a bit and pull up the collar and they'll come right off, due to the space you have to work with this is the hardest part. Then just follow the wires, unplug it and yank the bad pump and assembly straight out.

If the pump you buy includes the whole assembly just drop it in if not you just pull the old pump out of the housing and install the new one into it.

It can be a pain in the ass but its not very complicated, I changed mine in a parking lot with nothing but an adjustable wrench.

PS to take the plastic ring off use a WIDE/FAT flathead so that it turns it and don't just cut into it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, appreciate the help in sorting this problem out. I made another donation to the site.

I’m wondering what else I should replace. When I put the order into FCPGroton I got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Starter is quite new, cam shaft position sensor is new. Fuel pump is brand new. Wondering what else I should replace just so I don’t get “stranded” again.

Thanks, appreciate the help in sorting this problem out. I made another donation to the site.

I’m wondering what else I should replace. When I put the order into FCPGroton I got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Starter is quite new, cam shaft position sensor is new. Fuel pump is brand new. Wondering what else I should replace just so I don’t get “stranded” again.

Sounds like you got most of it..don't forget a few small things though(won't leave you stranded but nice to have and are cheap $$)

Like the oil cap seal, new Aluminum crush-ring for the drain plug, fuel filter(should replace this w/ the fuel pump imho). Keep a 2nd fuel pump relay in the car (if you don't have the means to jump it ofcourse, which you do ). Some of the sensors can go at any point truthfully...and unfortunately they are pricey. I'm not sure offhand which ones are no-start/no-drive condition, but just inspect them, see how old they look...if your lucky they'll throw a code instead of no-start :)

Definitely pick up a new bosch fuel filter though....those can clog up and cause no starts aswell and lead to an earlier death of the fuel pump :(

Good luck with it and thanks for donating to the site!

Archived