Volvospeed Forums

How To Get Rid Of Drone

kenhoeve

So... a few months ago I installed a custom turbo back 2.5" exhaust. Magnaflow cat to a magnaflow straight thru muffler to a resonator and out. The catback setup is the same as many of the prefabbed catbacks(muff to resonator). Made a significant difference in throttle response and high rpm boost. Very good mod. Well alas I just couldn't take the droning at 2-3k rpm, so I had to do something.

Today I installed another resonator before the muffler, for a total of two resonators. Wa-la, just the ticket. Drone is almost entirely gone and performance has not changed perceptibly. Like stock sound until you open it up, and then it gets a little growly, which is what I wanted in the first place. So for those considering custom, and wanting to stay quiet like a mouse, take this FWIW.

So... a few months ago I installed a custom turbo back 2.5" exhaust.  Magnaflow cat to a magnaflow straight thru muffler to a resonator and out.  The catback setup is the same as many of the prefabbed catbacks(muff to resonator).  Made a significant difference in throttle response and high rpm boost.  Very good mod.  Well alas I just couldn't take the droning at 2-3k rpm, so I had to do something.

Today I installed another resonator before the muffler, for a total of two resonators.  Wa-la, just the ticket.  Drone is almost entirely gone and performance has not changed perceptibly.  Like stock sound until you open it up, and then it gets a little growly, which is what I wanted in the first place.  So for those considering custom, and wanting to stay quiet like a mouse, take this FWIW.

i just turn up the system :P but when i get the money i want to ad a resenator cuase i have the same droning problem. thanks for the advice.

a cheaper way to reduce drone without quieting the tone would be to add hangers (the welded ones) to the piping to get rid of the tunung fork effect. you could also add a swedge joint.

I think he talking about drone from the muffler. He had the correct resolution.

Hangers only reduce vibration.

I have a muffler-shop made 3" cat-back with a 3" series 50 Flowmaster. It sounds absolutely wonderful, but the interior drone is getting to be too much. So, how should I go about this? Add a resonator before the muffler, or different/additional hangers. Or, would a straight thru design muffler lessen the drone. My logic is that the chambered design of the Flowmaster is the main cause of the resonance inside of the piping, not to mention killing my flow.

I got a 2.5 inch resonator on eBay for $30. You have to make sure it's the ones without the o2 bungs in them though. Straight through design is the best for turbo'd cars. I'm running an Aeroturbine 2540i. I'm going to have the resonator put on soon as well just to lessen attention from the pigs.

I have a muffler-shop made 3" cat-back with a 3" series 50 Flowmaster.  It sounds absolutely wonderful, but the interior drone is getting to be too much.  So, how should I go about this?  Add a resonator before the muffler, or different/additional hangers.  Or, would a straight thru design muffler lessen the drone.  My logic is that the chambered design of the Flowmaster is the main cause of the resonance inside of the piping, not to mention killing my flow.

Flowmaster is your whole problem. Not the proper muffler for a Volvo. You need a straight-thru muffler to get the right efficiency and sound.

ok, yeah it makes sense. it wasnt the muffler sound that bothered me though, the droning that bothered me was the vibration through the car. a few more hangers and some sound deadening mat and the vibration and sound was reduced for me dramatically, but on the outside, the police still look at me. o well, im done modding my exhaust until the day i get a fix it ticket.

Archived