Volvospeed Forums

2001 V70 Transmission Fluid Change Vs. Flush

Loren 3

Hi All,

Based on forum postings, I talked to one of the dealerships today to get a quote to flush the transmission. I was told by the service writer that Volvo strongly recommends to not flush the transmission, but only to replace the fluid. Anyone have any knowledge about this? On my Alldatadiy.com subscription, the only time flushing was mentioned was in the context of replacing a faulty transmission, and in that context they recommended against flushing - instead recommended replacing all the other components and hoses to make sure that no stray metal contaminants were left behind.

Any comments appreciated.

All the Best,

Loren

How many miles? Has it been changed and/or flushed before?

The car has about 130,000 miles on the clock. I should probably mention that it is my parent's car - so I may not have 100% correct information. They did have the transmission fluid changed last May, and I called the dealer that did the work and they verified that it was changed, but not flushed. They bought the car with 75k on the odometer, and to my knowledge this is the first time they had the transmission fluid replaced. I don't have any data from the previous owner.

Hi All,

Based on forum postings, I talked to one of the dealerships today to get a quote to flush the transmission. I was told by the service writer that Volvo strongly recommends to not flush the transmission, but only to replace the fluid. Anyone have any knowledge about this? On my Alldatadiy.com subscription, the only time flushing was mentioned was in the context of replacing a faulty transmission, and in that context they recommended against flushing - instead recommended replacing all the other components and hoses to make sure that no stray metal contaminants were left behind.

Any comments appreciated.

All the Best,

Loren

The service writer has no clue what he talking about. Volvo has no stance on transmission service, they say the fluid is a "lifetime fluid" and the transmission has a fluid wear indicator that would tell you if the fluid needs changed. This is obviously bullshit and Volvo only says this so they don't have to replace transmissions way out of the warranty period.

I would strongly advise against just drain and fill, you really aren't doing anything. Many here (including myself) have successfully flushed these transmissions, and in most cases it dramatically improves shift quality. Be sure to use Mobil 3309 fluid and you will need 12-14qts.

If you flush the trans and it dies, it was going to die anyways.

so if the fluid was changed last year, then you are good to just do drain and fill every 20k miles.

Actually, it was changed two months ago in May - I think I worded my previous reply in a misleading way. I don't know how many miles since then - maybe 1000 or so +/-.

The service writer has no clue what he talking about. Volvo has no stance on transmission service, they say the fluid is a "lifetime fluid" and the transmission has a fluid wear indicator that would tell you if the fluid needs changed. This is obviously I'm dumb and Volvo only says this so they don't have to replace transmissions way out of the warranty period.

I would strongly advise against just drain and fill, you really aren't doing anything. Many here (including myself) have successfully flushed these transmissions, and in most cases it dramatically improves shift quality. Be sure to use Mobil 3309 fluid and you will need 12-14qts.

Thanks for the reply. The part about - if it dies, it was going to die - is exactly what I am thinking. The only problem now is finding someone to do it. Since they pushed back like they did I don't trust the dealer to actually flush it, and I am just not a position to do it myself at the moment(sigh). There is one independent Volvo mechanic in the area, I need to give them a call...

The service writer has no clue what he talking about. Volvo has no stance on transmission service, they say the fluid is a "lifetime fluid" and the transmission has a fluid wear indicator that would tell you if the fluid needs changed. This is obviously I'm dumb and Volvo only says this so they don't have to replace transmissions way out of the warranty period.

do u suggest mobil 3309 for any volvo make? i wanna get mine flushed and new fluid and new filter as well... 99 s80 120k on it dont know previous mantience of it..as i just got it recently

do u suggest mobil 3309 for any volvo make? i wanna get mine flushed and new fluid and new filter as well... 99 s80 120k on it dont know previous mantience of it..as i just got it recently

You can use the 3309 fluid in the GM trannies (yours) but it's not necessary and given the high cost of the fluid I would just stick to DEX III

The service writer has no clue what he talking about. Volvo has no stance on transmission service, they say the fluid is a "lifetime fluid" and the transmission has a fluid wear indicator that would tell you if the fluid needs changed. This is obviously bullshit and Volvo only says this so they don't have to replace transmissions way out of the warranty period.

This

Mobil 3309 isn't the only fluid that you can use it the AW55. The new Mobil 1 synthetic ATF now covers the 3309 requirements. Also Toyota type 4 fluid can be used since this is a Toyota transmission (AF33) and is cheaper than the 3309 too. GM and Ford also use this transmission too so you could find the fluid at one of other deals if you had to. I would not get this fluid at the Volvo Dealership unless you like throwing money out the window. Flushes should be done every 30-40K miles. Any transmission shop should be able to flush it without trouble, even the big chain shops should be able to do this as long as you use the right fluid. It's even an easy DIY project with a funnel and hose and lots of jugs to dump the used fluid into. IPD has very good instructions with there kit.

i had the Toyota Type T-IV in my AW55-50.

I've used it for years too. This last flush I used Mobil 1 ATF synthetic, just cause I could get it at Advanced Auto.

Archived