Volvospeed Forums

Bevel Gear/diff Oil?

BoostedSwede

I just picked up a 1998 V70 AWD a few days ago. I'd like to change out the fluid in the bevel gear and the rear differential. I couldn't find the info in he owners manual about what kind of fluid they need. What have people successfully used in these cars? I'm thinking of using Mobil 1 75W-90. That ok?

Also, what's the best way to change the rear diff oil? I know how to do the bevel gear already.

Thanks for any help!

Same concept for the rear diff. Get a tube attached to a Mityvac pump of some sort and suction it out.

Both use a GL-5 75W-90 gear oil - should be synthetic. The rear diff oil from Volvo contains a low friction additive.

I usually use Redline 75w90 Gear oil for the rear diff. The Mobil 1 stuff should be fine too.

Personally I use the Volvo stuff for the angle gear but that's purely superstition. Redline or Royal Purple or the M1 stuff should be just fine for that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this back up. Gonna go ahead and change out the bevel gear oil tonight. I got Mobil 1 75w-90, which meets/exceeds the specs for the factory fluid. Regarding the rear diff...I also got some Mobil 1 75w-90 with the additive for limited slip differentials. Is that what the rear needs? And does anyone know how to change the rear diff fluid? I've heard that I need to drop the subframe???

Bumping this back up. Gonna go ahead and change out the bevel gear oil tonight. I got Mobil 1 75w-90, which meets/exceeds the specs for the factory fluid. Regarding the rear diff...I also got some Mobil 1 75w-90 with the additive for limited slip differentials. Is that what the rear needs? And does anyone know how to change the rear diff fluid? I've heard that I need to drop the subframe???

Interested to hear how your experience goes as I have to do this on the GFs car come spring. IIRC there should be a fill/drain plug on the backside of the diff but can't remember. If you have Vida you might be able to look it up, or I can try when I get home tonight.

Btw are you back in MA now or in NH? I work pretty close to Westminstahh.

Changing the fluid on the rear diff is identical to the bevel gear. Pump it out the fill hole and replace the crush washer afterwards on the plug. No need to drop the rear subframe. The bolt faces the front of the car.

I wouldn't use the Mobil 1 fluid with an LSD additive. The rear diff is not an LSD. The Volvo fluid has a low friction additive. Use the stuff from the dealer or something like Redline 75w90 gear oil (I use this in my car).

The Mobil 1 is probably fine for the bevel gear though I tend to stick with the Volvo stuff just out of superstition but have used Royal Purple Gear Max before and Redline with no problem. They all meet the requirements.

Just to double check, you guys are draining the bevel gear correct? not trying to pump it out, as that wouldnt get much of anything in my opinion.

FYI to boostedswede, I'm around the area pretty often if you need any AWD parts or what not.

Not sure was boosted is doing but I prefer to pump it out vs drilling a drain hole on my GFs car. Might take a little longer but I know I wont eff anything up.

Archived