Volvospeed Forums

Emissions Fail - Obd Ii Can't Connect?

7 VII 7

So I went to get my car inspection and emissions today... inspection was fine but when they did the emissions it failed at the OBD-II port!

They said it could not read it and had to fail me.

So I thought that was weird because 2 years ago it passed fine. I went to my Volvo Indie shop and the used their handheld scanner to read the OBD-II port just fine and while the car was on and accelerator was pushed down he could read the MAF and O2 readings on this handheld scanner.

Well I took it BACK to the emissions location and they said it failed again because it could not read. OK, well then I took it down the street to another place and it FAILED also!

I am so confused. I dont have a check engine light or service light or anything. Why am I failing saying that they cant read the emissions through the OBD-II connection. Two places, failed both places :(

Please help, I need to get this resolved fast so I can get my registration in.

Thanks!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do need a scanner look up my topic on scanners. I can give you a dropbox link with the correct software for both an ELM327 connector and the VAG-Com connector.

Although, it looks like using a stock ECU is the ticket to pass here. Although you would have to take the time to set all the readiness which can be a PITA!

Doesnt need to be an R tune. Just any turbo ECU that meets your vehicles requirement, as in SAS, EGR and so forth. Buy a used one and keep it around, not expensive.

Ok, I think a guy on TB is looking for one for me.

I am saying 96-97 850 Turbo (T5 or R) ECU with NO SAS and NO EGR... any other things to specify?

When we went a couple weeks ago they said 96 Volvos don't do an obdii test. We asked why (we didn't think we pass with the exhaust test) and they just said that's what the computer says. So it might not be an Ecu issue, maybe its an issue with the emissions scan tool or something. Who knows, they did it the same way 2years agi. Somehow we passed despite all the smoke.

When we went a couple weeks ago they said 96 Volvos don't do an obdii test. We asked why (we didn't think we pass with the exhaust test) and they just said that's what the computer says. So it might not be an Ecu issue, maybe its an issue with the emissions scan tool or something. Who knows, they did it the same way 2years agi. Somehow we passed despite all the smoke.

I think VA is 25 years old car is eligible

Sometimes Motronic 4.x have problems setting readiness and getting a read from emission station software. Check your states emissions laws/regs..Some states exempt later 850s and the 98 s70 from OBD testing.. In Ohio they gave me the tailpipe option and I passed it just fine (if you are worried about passing TP, pour 90% isopropyl alcohol in gas tank with @ 3gallons of gas, you WILL pass)

Sometimes Motronic 4.x have problems setting readiness and getting a read from emission station software. Check your states emissions laws/regs..Some states exempt later 850s and the 98 s70 from OBD testing.. In Ohio they gave me the tailpipe option and I passed it just fine (if you are worried about passing TP, pour 90% isopropyl alcohol in gas tank with @ 3gallons of gas, you WILL pass)

Tail pipe was fine, it was is the OBD-II could not read. I dont believe there is an option for either or.

Archived