Volvospeed Forums

Wheel Wobble

GP850T

98 V70 T5M

Problem: Coming home from school today, getting some massive steering wheel wobble as I drive.

The car itself: Complete suspension replacement front and rear, just put on my summer tires (was doing it before not as bad)

I have done the 3 and 9 oclock test and there is no side to side play atleast on the passenger side where i think the problem is coming from..

Also seems to be a "knocking" noise on the front passenger wheel related to the tire rotation speed though i could be wrong the noise is there definitely when the car is in motion

Steering wheel wobble is noticable at all speeds from highway speeds to city driving speeds

I know that the passenger side C.V boot is split but i dont really see how an axle would contribute to steering wheel wobble...

I already DOUBLE TRIPLE CHECKED THE WHEEL BOLTS

Anyone can shed some light... Will be getting a new axle soon...

this isnt to be confused with vibration in the steering wheel, the car will not stay true without me holding on to it and its down right scary...

the problem also isnt consistant it goes and comes and when it doesnt happen the car does drive straight sooo i dont think its an alignment issue

sounds like you have a distorted tire that's causing most of your problem here. i would suggest you get a new set of tires and do an wheel alignment provided that all other suspension/steering/drive line are all in check.

cheers!

full suspension replacement

New top mount, new spring seat, new shocks, new springs, new bump stops, aka everything suspension related has been replaced

running koni yellows + ipd springs

reximus: its the second summer i run these tires and mags combo and never had a problem with them but i guess ill inspect it..

oreo: boot is torn... its lacking grease.. i dont see how that would through it out of balance and cause side to side motion in my steering wheel

but ill definately replace the axle, please shed some light on this im intrigued

full suspension replacement

New top mount, new spring seat, new shocks, new springs, new bump stops, aka everything suspension related has been replaced

running koni yellows + ipd springs

reximus: its the second summer i run these tires and mags combo and never had a problem with them but i guess ill inspect it..

oreo: boot is torn... its lacking grease.. i dont see how that would through it out of balance and cause side to side motion in my steering wheel

but ill definately replace the axle, please shed some light on this im intrigued

uh...That's hardly a complete suspension rebuild...

What about control arms? outer tie rods? inner tie rods? end links? wheel hubs?

edit: well, i guess it depends on your definition of suspension

uh...That's hardly a complete suspension rebuild...

What about control arms? outer tie rods? inner tie rods? end links? wheel hubs?

edit: well, i guess it depends on your definition of suspension

I have HD IPD endlinks.... lol i dont see wheel hubs being considered suspension components nor control arms or tie rods,but i digress, regardless of how our definitions may differ of "complete suspension rebuild" i say we stick on topic and at least shoot some suggestions on what the problem is rather than nitpicking on definitions and whatnot

care to explain how a bad axle can give wobble to the steering wheel??

or perhaps any other shed of light...

I have HD IPD endlinks.... lol i dont see wheel hubs being considered suspension components nor control arms or tie rods,but i digress, regardless of how our definitions may differ of "complete suspension rebuild" i say we stick on topic and at least shoot some suggestions on what the problem is rather than nitpicking on definitions and whatnot

OK...well the items under your definition of suspension wouldn't really cause wheel wobble. The items I listed could cause.

I don't get it...you posted looking for suggestions and your tone comes off as being an ass when you get good suggestions to consider.

1. What CV joint has the boot torn, inner or outer? If you have continued to drive with a torn boot and it is lacking grease, the joint is contaminated and is bad. Lacking grease + metal-to-metal friction (or dirt in remaining grease) = bad CV joint. A bad inner CV joint will cause the noise and the very bad wobble under load or acceleration, like you are describing - if the wobble occurs while accelerating and then reduces when you let off, then the axle is likely the problem. A bad outer joint will typically have a clicking sound when turning....however if you have continued to drive on it with lacking grease, the joint can wear bad enough to to cause play (i.e. wobble).

2. Bad tie rods and/or control arms would play more to your wobble issue than anything with the "complete suspension rebuild" you did. Either of those components can be bad without having play when doing the 3/9 or 12/6 test. Inspect the tie rod and control arm ball joint boots for cracks, tears, or external grease. Inspect the control arm bushings for cracks in the rubber, which can cause play while driving.

I am guessing your bad axle is going to be the issue. :)

The axle does sound like an issue, don't get me wrong but have you hit any pot holes or anything that stick out in your mind? How long's it been since the wheels have been balanced?

It could be as simple as needing a rebalancing or maybe you picked up a bend, possibly a big bump knocked a weight off, etc.

Just a thought. :)

Along with Aarom on the whole getting your wheels balanced. Have them road force balanced because it will allow it to ride smoother. Unless you broke a belt in the tire (which is much fun)

98 V70 T5M

Problem: Coming home from school today, getting some massive steering wheel wobble as I drive.

The car itself: Complete suspension replacement front and rear, just put on my summer tires (was doing it before not as bad)

I have done the 3 and 9 oclock test and there is no side to side play atleast on the passenger side where i think the problem is coming from..

Also seems to be a "knocking" noise on the front passenger wheel related to the tire rotation speed though i could be wrong the noise is there definitely when the car is in motion

Steering wheel wobble is noticable at all speeds from highway speeds to city driving speeds

I know that the passenger side C.V boot is split but i dont really see how an axle would contribute to steering wheel wobble...

I already DOUBLE TRIPLE CHECKED THE WHEEL BOLTS

Anyone can shed some light... Will be getting a new axle soon...

Rotate the front tires to the rear and see if the wobble goes away..You may be able to see the fault in the tire upon inspection but not always.

It's hard to diagnose your issue when you have a known problem (split CV Boot) you haven't fixed.

You could have a warped rotor if this wobble occurs only when braking..I don't believe you stated whether this is happening during braking only.

Your knocking noise may be your "known" problem (axle issue). I would check your front brake caliper springs, they get weak and cause a knocking noise. Of course this only occurs when braking also.

Archived