Volvospeed Forums

Significant Oil Leak Passenger Side

I'm losing a good amount of oil from the front(passenger side) of my engine. When parked,it looks like it is trickling down the frame and dripping at a spot between the tire and the passenger door. It seems as if a lot of it is concentrated below the timing belt/oil tstat area. It seems to be worse when the car is on(drops of oil all over my street), but continues when off. It has gotten oil all over the passenger side of my car(control arm, wheels) My initial hunch was the oil cooler bracket thing, lots of oil in and around that area, but its hard to tell...That or a cam seal. I'm thinking it is on the front of the engine because of how concentrated the oil is over there. No real smell of burning through vents or anything like that. I'm going to my carwash soon to wash it off and hopefully get a better clue. What other areas can leak alot of oil over there?

http://imgur.com/a/XOpXA

I'm losing a good amount of oil from the front(passenger side) of my engine. When parked,it looks like it is trickling down the frame and dripping at a spot between the tire and the passenger door. It seems as if a lot of it is concentrated below the timing belt/oil tstat area. It seems to be worse when the car is on(drops of oil all over my street), but continues when off. It has gotten oil all over the passenger side of my car(control arm, wheels) My initial hunch was the oil cooler bracket thing, lots of oil in and around that area, but its hard to tell...That or a cam seal. I'm thinking it is on the front of the engine because of how concentrated the oil is over there. No real smell of burning through vents or anything like that. I'm going to my carwash soon to wash it off and hopefully get a better clue. What other areas can leak alot of oil over there?

http://imgur.com/a/XOpXA

If your oil cooler lines are wet then they are leaking.

The only other area I've seen that can leak a ton is the turbo drain tube seal and rear main seal.

If your oil cooler lines are wet then they are leaking.

The only other area I've seen that can leak a ton is the turbo drain tube seal and rear main seal.

The rear main seal wouldn't spray exclusively onto the other side of the engine though right? I had a bad RMS that made me get rid of my otherwise good GLT, but the leak was exclusively on the drivers side, where as this is exclusively on the passenger side. The weather has been bad around here lately so I couldn't give it a thorough check. I'm really hoping its not the RMS.

I checked under the timing belt a few weeks ago but i was looking at the condition of the belt and not checking to well for oil, but it wasn't soak. I'll give it another look tomorrow when its a not raining. For now i'm going to do my best to degrease my car.

Degrease it first.

Most likely the oil cooler lines as suggested, could also likely be the Oil thermostat housing or the lower front seal or Oil Pump/gasket/ Seal, I have seen quite a few of these sneaky lil bastard.

Degrease it first.

Most likely the oil cooler lines as suggested, could also likely be the Oil thermostat housing or the lower front seal or Oil Pump/gasket/ Seal, I have seen quite a few of these sneaky lil bastard.

^^^This!

I had one in the shop last week just like it...

I'm thinking it might be the exhaust cam seal after giving a better look under the timing belt cover today. The back timing belt cover had some oil running down the side of it, on the exhaust cam side, especially towards the bottom. I tried to get a look at the seal itself through the holes and it appeared to have some oil coming out of it. I figure i might as well do the timing belt job since its been a while. Could cam seals be the source of a significant oil leak?

http://imgur.com/2YdR3 General view under timing belt cover

http://imgur.com/PnENk View through a hole in the rear cam timing gear.

I have the exact same leak.

I am thinking EXHAUST Cam seal.

I am doing the whole thing in the Timing Belt area this summer (from a to z) and will post a DIY later.

How much oil are you losing? I'm losing a lot, making me think its more than one thing, but i will replace it and find out.

How much oil are you losing? I'm losing a lot, making me think its more than one thing, but i will replace it and find out.

I am losing 10 drops a day.

If you lose alot, check CCV system.

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound stupid but heck the oil filter. I thought i had a major problem but when i went to take a closer look it was a loose oil filter. It dripped a lot when running and dripped for a little while when turned off then stopped sounds like your problem.

Archived