Volvospeed Forums

S70 T5 Whining Sound On Acceleration

JVC

Figured I'd throw it up here since I have officially no idea.

It seemed to start randomly... I don't recall when I first heard it but when I did I know that I had never heard it before.

It almost seems like a very quiet supercharger with a slightly deeper tone. It only seems to happen in lower rpm's but that could also be because I cannot hear it when I get into higher RPM's. It definitely is dependent on load and rpm though since with a bit higher rpm it changes tone and when sitting still or revving not under load it does not make the sound at all.

I recently replaced the drivers side axle and it appears fine. I know the passenger side outer cv boot is torn and will be getting replaced soon along with the passenger side wheel bearing that is making a bit of grinding sound (not the sound I'm worried about though).

I FAINTLY remember reading someone mention that it could be the inner cv boot on the passenger axle, which could be it but I was just wondering if you have any ideas about this one.

-John

Heres a link to a video that you can kinda hear the sound in.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/north_shore_racer/?action=view&current=VID_20110427_213136.mp4

umm..i forget is your car manual?

No sir...

I'll check belt tension... i'm guessing most the time its the auxiliary belt? I'll see if it seems tight and maybe loosen the tensioner and then let it go back to tight and see if that does anything or see if i can visibly see anything out of place...

Is the whining coming from between the seat and the steering wheel?

I hate you... haha. No it is not.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/north_shore_racer/?action=view&current=VID_20110504_233952.mp4

theres another video... It sounds like its coming from the accessory belt area... I checked my power steering fluid and it was just about the C mark when hot... I think that MAY be the culprit and I'm gonna go any buy some more power steering fluid tomorrow and top it off.

adding fluid didn't stop the problem... it definitely seems to be coming from right below the power steering resivoir... somewhere right down there. Any ideas on easy ways to check if its the PS pump, alternator, etc?

The clutch on my A/C compressor is gone, so it makes a soft gravelly-scraping noise all the time, but also makes a whining noise like that in the same situations you describe. Mine sounded like the alternator, the p/s pump, adn the idler/tensioner pulleys. Except those are all brand new...so it's just the A/C compressor.

Also keep in mind that when under load, the timing belt setups in these cars do make a faint whining noise, even with all new parts. Could be that too.

The clutch on my A/C compressor is gone, so it makes a soft gravelly-scraping noise all the time, but also makes a whining noise like that in the same situations you describe. Mine sounded like the alternator, the p/s pump, adn the idler/tensioner pulleys. Except those are all brand new...so it's just the A/C compressor.

Also keep in mind that when under load, the timing belt setups in these cars do make a faint whining noise, even with all new parts. Could be that too.

It COULD be the AC compressor but I currently don't have a condenser in there and never actually use the AC since I know it wont get me anything with the system wide open.

P/S pump id say. Same exact noise I had on my Saffron.

how hard of a fix was that? big pain in the ass or what?

I hope you didn't use PS Fluid... should be ATF.

I didn't top it up at all actually... seemed low but then once it got actually warm it read on point, so i didn't throw anymore in there.

It doesn't seem to make any more noise when turning or anything but it sure is loud now. haha I think i'm in the market for a power steering pump... off to VADIS to see how big of a pain in the ass this is gonna be.

Archived