Volvospeed Forums

Manual Swappers!

So, after swapping my car almost two years ago, I never swapped out the throttle cable from the auto. I had a problem with the throttle earlier this week, so ordered a manual cable, and must say, it is a must buy. The "firmness" in the pedal with the auto cable is gone. It honestly makes it feel so much better. I know there's a thread on this with the part number, but IIRC it's 9157600. Only like 40 bucks from the dealer, and a 10 minute install. So worth it!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it normal that when the car is off, the pedal is nice n easy to press, but once you start it the pedal gets firm?

(Factory Manual)

Thanks!

Well, there is no air flow when the engine is off, not that the amount of air passing the throttle would create a heavy resistance. Can't imagine what else you are describing, though.

On older Volvos, the throttle cable used to have the potential for metal to metal contacts - in other words, it could become a ground cable = very bad. This could lead to cables binding, and even electrical fires. All our cables are isolated from ground - you will notice that the cable retainer is plastic, the bobbin is plastic, the gas pedal is plastic and the cable ball end is held in a plastic seat. So, not likely that you would experience any binding or resistance while the engine is operating for that reason.

Archived