Volvospeed Forums

The Control Module Swap Guide

Ihatespeedbumps

Been thinking about putting this together for sometime because of the confusion surrounding swapping control modules in 99+ vehicles. So lets put it in writing with things we KNOW work, not what we heard or someone told us. I will reflect my personal experiences and will happy to update the original post with known swaps. Breakdown will be by platform.

If the module cannot be swapped, it cannot be reprogrammed by the dealer either!

X70 99-00 (S70,C70,XC70,V70)

ECM - Programmed to car, cannot be swapped.

TCM -

ABS - Yes

ETM - Can be swapped, but Bosch and Denso units cannot be interchanged, no software needed.

DIM - No

DDM - Yes, even among coupe/convertible models, just with extra buttons.

CCM - Yes, but MCC and ECC cannot be interchanged with out significant work.

PSM - yes

SRS - yes, but with matching part numbers

P2 (S80, S60, V70, XC70)

ECM - No

TCM -

ABS - Yes, early years only. If it says BCM, it's programmed to the car. Also, early DSTC modules cannot be swapped.

BCM - No

CEM - Never, nor can it be reprogram

CCM - Yes, as long as P/N's match. Buttons do not have to match IE; seat heat button can be swapped and function.

AUD - Yes, match P/N's

DDM - Yes, match P/N's

SWM -

UEM -

DIM - No

SRS - Yes, but only on early S80's. Look for chassis break, late break modules can't be swapped. Match P/N.

PSM - Yes

REM - No

DEM -

P1 (Late S40, V50, C70, C30)

ECM - No

TCM -

ABS/BCM - No

UEM

EPS -

CEM - Never

DIM - No

ICM -

GSM -

PSM -

DDM -

PDM -

SRS -

PEM -

DEM -

I know I've forgotten many and there are few more platforms to add. Please post up what you've successfully swapped or corrections to anything.

You missed ETM on P2 cars. Supposedly, these cannot be swapped on any of the cars '99 - '01, they are VIN matched. However, I had an ETM that was bad, but didn't fail the sweep test, so factory rep made a deal that he would replace mine, and if it fixed problem, I got a warranty ETM. If NOT, then he got the new ETM back. You know he wouldn't take it back unless he could reprogram the VIN number. I also know that someone on Volvospeed did swap the ETM, and says that he didn't have to VIN match it. Go figure, but that was on a C70, I think.

Xemodex is able to reprogram the VIN number, and that is why the sell exchange ETM's for the 99 - 01 turbo cars.

I also think the ECM can be reprogrammed, but again only by the dealer. Xemodex probably hasn't tried, but I'll bet they could.

I'm about to send a junkyard UEM to Xemodex to let him see if he can reprogram the VIN in that, as well; he's never tried to do it before.

I've swapped a blown DIM with a used one on an '02 XC. I've also been able to access the used unit and reprogrammed it with my DiCE. Interestedly, I was also able to clear the DTC for altered mileage. I was not able, however, to change the mileage to the correct mileage and the car now shows the higher mileage that was on the used DIM. I was also not able to recover the trip computer software from the original. The used DIM had all 4 software/intercooler numbers matching those on the original and it came from an '02 V70.

I've swapped a blown DIM with a used one on an '02 XC. I've also been able to access the used unit and reprogrammed it with my DiCE. Interestedly, I was also able to clear the DTC for altered mileage. I was not able, however, to change the mileage to the correct mileage and the car now shows the higher mileage that was on the used DIM. I was also not able to recover the trip computer software from the original. The used DIM had all 4 software/intercooler numbers matching those on the original and it came from an '02 V70.

"software/intercooler numbers" actually meant to type software/hardware serial numbers. Not sure where that "intercooler" came from although my typing skills do leave a lot to be desired.

Archived