Volvospeed Forums

Easy Double Din Install Volvo 850/x70

Oreo931

I was radio shopping recently because I wanted something with bluetooth to use my phone in the car and I came across a unit with excellent reviews and a low price tag.

I purchased a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT from Amazon for $350 shipped. http://www.amazon.co...21462918&sr=8-1

I also purchased from Amazon a Metra wiring harness adapter (part no. 70-9220). Best $10 I ever spent.

With the adapter harness you do not need to modify your existing wiring harness in any way. You simply connect the wires on the Metra harness to the wires on the headunit harness (they are color coded), and then plug the Metra harness into your stock harness. I was able to connect all of the wiring inside my house sitting at a table. It's very easy and straightforward. The only wires you will have to tap into are optional. They are the reverse light wire and the e-brake ground wire. I haven't connected the reverse light wire because I don't think I'm going to use a backup camera. I haven't connected the e-brake wire because I ordered an override relay from ebay.

I tried to install the headunit without an installation kit. That didn't work at all. You will need some sort of universal adapter kit for any double din headunit to work with these cars. This is what I bought and it fit perfectly after I modified the headunit tray as explained below. Pioneer ADTVA133 2 Din Installation Kit - http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

There aren't any double din installation kits made specifically for 850/x70 because of the two plastic rails inside the dash where the radio goes. You will likely need to remove the plastic material in order to install any aftermarket double din radio. To install the radio I purchased you will definitely need to remove the plastic rails.

You can remove the rails several ways. The quickest way will to remove the plastic is with a dremel tool. I used the bit pictured below to remove the plastic:

IMG_0199.jpg

Rail

IMG_0198.jpg

After removing the material with a dremel, smooth the rail out with a file or low grit sand paper.

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

You should probably shove a towel in the hole to avoid plastic pieces falling behind the dash. After removing the plastic you should use a vacuum to suck up all of the small pieces in the radio pocket.

After cleaning the area, use the directions provided with the Pioneer ADTVA133 install kit, and attach the mounting hardware to your headunit. The hardware simply screws into the sides of the headunit so it's very easy to install. Once the radio is in, snap the included trim piece into place and you are finished the headunit install!

If your headunit comes with bluetooth, you should also pick a location to mount the microphone. I chose a blank switch on the switch panel. The hole needs to be around 12mm or so. I'm currently having some issues with the bluetooth, and I don't know if the mic placement is the problem. Apparently, to the other person I'm talking to it sounds windy in the background for the first 10 seconds or so when I make/receive a phone call. I'll update the thread once I figure it out.

mic.jpg

After pics:

radio.jpg

Don't mind the scratches in the next pic, they wipe right off. I wanted to show the gap between the trim piece and the dash. It doesn't sit completely flush but it doesn't bother me. It's hard to tell when you are looking at the unit from the front.

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Headunit impressions:

I am very pleased with my purchase. The headunit is great for an entry level touchscreen headunit with DVD/bluetooth. It's very easy to use and customizable as well. You can change the button colors and the background screen colors to whatever color you want. You can also set your own picture as the background. For color, I chose green to match the factory dash light colors. This unit works great if you have an ipod and or iphone. You can use pandora so it's as if you have satellite radio. There are also a bunch of add-ons for the headunit like a backup camera, etc. I saw the video quality in a store when playing DVDs and it looked great for a 5.8" screen. I haven't tried to watch a DVD on my unit because the e-brake override relay from ebay hasn't arrived yet. I doubt I'll ever watch a DVD on this unit, but I purchased the override because the unit doesn't allow you to access the dial pad on the screen to manually dial phone numbers unless the e-brake is up.

As I mentioned above, the only issue I'm having right now is a small one with bluetooth phone call quality. For the first 10 seconds of a phone call, it sounds very windy on my end apparently. I'm not sure if this is due to interference or placement of the mic. Once I figure it out I'll update this thread. I also need to figure out where I am going to get an adapter so I can use my factory amplifier with the radio.

In sum, for less than $400 and a couple hours to install everything, I am very pleased with the radio.

Edit: I bought one of these cables to allow the factory amp to work with the headunit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Stereo-Radio-Aftermarket-HU-Factory-Amp-Cable-/200484953400?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eadd59d38

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived