Volvospeed Forums

Custom Carbon Fiber Ideas

T5Hammy

So I plan on starting to make custom CF body parts for my 98 S70, I have not decided if it will be for personal use only or If i will do some production after I work out the kinks. I have laid up small trim peices and have vacuum bagged several dash boards for Austin Healy's (my dad wanted me to help him create a few so he could learn how).

Basically I have several parts I intend to create: Hood with custom vents, wide front fenders to allow wider rubber up front 245's if possible (as oem+ as possible), wide rear fenders If I get the resources to do so (don't wanna stagger my fronts wider than my rears), front bumper based on the stock s70 bumper with a longer lip and curves that match the flare in the fender , and probably any engine trim I can get my hands on!

This will probably take a long time before I have a suitable (even for personal use) prototype, but I'm interested in new ideas that any of you may have thought of (if I like your idea and make it for myself I will try to get the brainstormer one for my cost even if it never goes to serious production). Well if I end up getting decent at this I may even start a line for as many Volvo's as I can as a side job (or career if my current state of unemployment holds out much longer :unsure: ).

Any one who hates the CF ricey look, I plan to cover it with vinyl or paint so settle down ;) . And anyone who thinks i'm ruining a perfectly decent car, I Dont Care! it is MY car and I promise not to force you to buy CF parts. Thanks for looking or any Ideas or tips!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know how all of these type of threads end...

I'd start with actually producing something for everyone to see then post a thread, but since you blew your load early, my only suggestion is to skip the hood, cheaper to buy and better quality than anything you can produce at home.

Really?after you tke out all the padding from it, it's pretty light weight, from a cost vs weight stand point, but it would look cool for sure

Its gonna look stock. Roof makes the most sense the hard part is finding an oven large enough. I have done them with IR lamps at lower temps in a pinch but its not fun. Even semi-decent parts are going to require ovens.

Its gonna look stock. Roof makes the most sense the hard part is finding an oven large enough. I have done them with IR lamps at lower temps in a pinch but its not fun. Even semi-decent parts are going to require ovens.

True, I guess I'm just not understanding on if Brett is doing this to fully save weight, to look cool, or both with the mind of producing it, cause if that was the case the roof would only be beneficial to that one car, you can't really mass produce CF roofs

True, I guess I'm just not understanding on if Brett is doing this to fully save weight, to look cool, or both with the mind of producing it, cause if that was the case the roof would only be beneficial to that one car, you can't really mass produce CF roofs

Wagon and sedan. Fenders would require this also.

Front bumper cover with larger airflow inlets. Kinda like what Hussein was doing, but also a little lower. But I'd never buy one because I can't imagine what it would cost in CF and most cars here aren't worth more than $3k.

Archived