Volvospeed Forums

Refinishing 850 Grey Trim

Kevin.

What's the best way to make the exterior grey trim on 850's look better? I've heard of the Kiwi Shoe Dye method and I know others have used dyes and paints, I'm just unsure as to which method works the best. I'm looking to darken it up a little bit, but not too much. Opinions?

Paint it the same color as car, like the 70 series ones... might even be able to jack some from an 70 series of the same color, don't remember if they're the same size or not.

Look at my car, that will be confirmation that it doesn't flow on the 800 series.

Rambone: tape off the edges so you protect the paint and apply Showroom Grey. You'll be set for 3-4 years, I guarantee it. Shoedye looks like shit in a few months and black trim is tacky IMHO. It'll be back to a nice dark grey. Otherwise, you can go with the black version, it will still look cleaner than shoe dye after a few months.

If you're trying to go black then forever black works pretty good, Ive had it on my wagon for almost a year now and it grill looks fresh. But the application they give you sucks and you need to so 3-4 coats to make it look even.

IMO just mask off the areas of trim and take a rattle can to it, will last the longest and of your patient will look the best. Just make sure you put paper over the windows...nothing sucks more then seeing tiny specs of paint that hit the window.

Still not grill*

Just clean it a couple of times with Dawn dish soap. Let it dry well, go buy a small paint roller at a hardware store and apply 3-4 coats at 5-20 minutes. Le dry at least 24 hours then mount back on the car and you're done.

Honestly, I've tried a few different options and I keep coming back to Showroom Grey. I even did both bumpers on my Renault that way.

Just clean it a couple of times with Dawn dish soap. Let it dry well, go buy a small paint roller at a hardware store and apply 3-4 coats at 5-20 minutes. Le dry at least 24 hours then mount back on the car and you're done.

Honestly, I've tried a few different options and I keep coming back to Showroom Grey. I even did both bumpers on my Renault that way.

I will def do this when it warms up here. Ill look around online for Showroom Grey to get the best deal. Thanks all for you help!

Have any pictures of pre/post showroom grey by any chance?

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-Bumper-Trim-Dye/dp/B000FOIJXQ/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1331315656&sr=8-16

Hands down the best way I have found. I personally do not like painted trim on the 850. With the front and rear bumper there is too much of it.

http://www.amazon.co...1315656&sr=8-16

Hands down the best way I have found. I personally do not like painted trim on the 850. With the front and rear bumper there is too much of it.

For this to work well, I'd suggest using a good wax and grease remover to take off any old coatings, otherwise it won't penetrate well (that's what she said).

For this to work well, I'd suggest using a good wax and grease remover to take off any old coatings, otherwise it won't penetrate well (that's what she said).

LOL. Yeah people who have had poor results were lazy. Clean it twice and let it dry for several hours after cleaning before using the dye portion. My bumpers are black and I only have to redo them probably every 2-3 years if not less.

LOL. Yeah people who have had poor results were lazy. Clean it twice and let it dry for several hours after cleaning before using the dye portion. My bumpers are black and I only have to redo them probably every 2-3 years if not less.

Prep = win. If you don't prep, all other steps are going to be pointless.

I've used a product called 1705A Super Klean and it works well. SEM 38373 would work well, too.

Archived