Volvospeed Forums

Performance Modding S60 T5 Or S70 T5

I have gone through a few s70 t5's, one manual and one auto. I did some exciting mods, 19t on an auto and loved it.

Sold them both about 2 years ago and now i want to get back into it again.

Have been looking at my options to buy for the past few months and would love some advice.

I want a manual for sure! I have been waiting for a s70 t5m but none have come up for sale in my area ( Canada).

So im wondering if im okay to go with a 01-05 s60 t5 manual and expect the same things i did from my s70 t5s?

I have never actually read into the s60 and what they changed, but it doesn't appear to be too much?

Any recommendations for 01-05 manuals? I found a decent 03 manual t5 that im looking at or else i could hold out for a 98 t5.

As far as mods im thinking around 330-360 hp to crank as a goal. Maybe k24 or larger?

Thanks for the input guys!

'01 T5 has the dreaded Magnetti Marelli throttle body, which will fail. In Canada, Xemodex has a replacement that should solve the problem. S60 has better rear suspension in my opinion, and the manual is far less troublesome than auto. an '03 would avoid the throttle body problem, they went to a different style in '02.

tuning, well, the '01 has solid lifters, which started in '99, and these heads are supposed to flow better than ported early heads, so you have an advantage there. Byond that, tuning is harder, iPD and RICA have tunes, but for what is probably the best, see ardideas.com, Lucky has a better idea. You can put in a 19T turbo if you want, you just need to have it tuned properly, or you'll have the same problem as the early engines have, turn rods into something resembling limp spaghetti.

'03 might have slightly better advantage for tuning, if it has dual VVT, Lucky says he can get more power from the engine, but unless you are building a really fast machine, you probably won't notice it. KK24 works, and you probably need rods to get the power you want, but downpipe, cat back exhaust, good tune will get you close, but depending on the dyno, you will likely be disappointed in getting quite the hp you want. But it will be easier than earlier blocks, because of the better flowing head.

As you can see, I've got the '01 manual, and I love it. I think an '03 would be a great platform for tuning, because you might have slightly better potential if, as I think, the engine is dual VVT.

'01 T5 has the dreaded Magnetti Marelli throttle body, which will fail. In Canada, Xemodex has a replacement that should solve the problem. S60 has better rear suspension in my opinion, and the manual is far less troublesome than auto. an '03 would avoid the throttle body problem, they went to a different style in '02.

tuning, well, the '01 has solid lifters, which started in '99, and these heads are supposed to flow better than ported early heads, so you have an advantage there. Byond that, tuning is harder, iPD and RICA have tunes, but for what is probably the best, see ardideas.com, Lucky has a better idea. You can put in a 19T turbo if you want, you just need to have it tuned properly, or you'll have the same problem as the early engines have, turn rods into something resembling limp spaghetti.

'03 might have slightly better advantage for tuning, if it has dual VVT, Lucky says he can get more power from the engine, but unless you are building a really fast machine, you probably won't notice it. KK24 works, and you probably need rods to get the power you want, but downpipe, cat back exhaust, good tune will get you close, but depending on the dyno, you will likely be disappointed in getting quite the hp you want. But it will be easier than earlier blocks, because of the better flowing head.

As you can see, I've got the '01 manual, and I love it. I think an '03 would be a great platform for tuning, because you might have slightly better potential if, as I think, the engine is dual VVT.

Why would he need rods in an 03 T5 engine with a K24.

ETMs are easy to replace and you only have to do it once. The S60 has a lot better control over boost then the 98s. Which in turn makes the P2 vehicles less susceptible to bent rods with a K24 or 19T. Lucky might jump in here and add a post to build on the above.

What it comes down to is the P2 vehicles are a step up from the 98s in many ways. These vehicles are getting older and moving to a new platform is a wise choice in my opinion.

I have a 98 V70 T5M and a 01 V70 T5M (both stock). I end up driving the 01 due it's drivability over the 98. The one thing about te 98 though is in my opinion it has more raw power (kinda hard to explain) VS the 01 that is a lot smoother through the power band. Also I really hate the RPM hanging between shifts in the 98s. It's always bugged me though.

So there are pros as cons to both but in my opinion the P2 platform is a step in the right direction with little to no cons.

Because the pistons won't move up and down in the cylinders by themselves ?

;)

Maybe you is a little slow ;) But I wouldnt say an 03 T5 engine needs upgraded rods for a K24.

Maybe you is a little slow ;) But I wouldnt say an 03 T5 engine needs upgraded rods for a K24.

And the joke just flew over the cuckoo's nest. :lol:

And the joke just flew over the cuckoo's nest. :lol:

And what a Joke! Brilliant I would say.

To the OP- A K24 on a 03 T5 engine with an ARD tune will be just fine.

I'd argue that it is you who is a little slow... Since you failed to get the joke AND you initially implied that stronger rods are needed with a k24

I'd argue that it is you who is a little slow... Since you failed to get the joke AND you initially implied that stronger rods are needed with a k24

:arob: I was being sarcastic with my first part of my reply to you...But you and bernie missed that. And a what a lame joke at that.

BTW.. if u actually paid attention to what I said a few times was... (Why would he need rods in an 03 T5 engine with a K24) - (I wouldnt say an 03 T5 engine needs upgraded rods for a K24) - (To the OP- A K24 on a 03 T5 engine with an ARD tune will be just fine)

So maybe u are slow...But thanks for comin out

Now back on topic...

Haha yes back on topic please! My goal to start should really be lower i suppose. I want this to still be a daily driver and not kill me in fuel consumption. So lets say more along the lines of 320-330, i like the idea of the kk24 for an option to squeeze more power out down the road if i wanted to.

Here are two options i have found up here. Keep in mind these cars are more expensive in Canada as the supply is just not there to lower the price like in the US.

Option one is a 02 s60 t5 manual with 173 000 kms original owner, dealer serviced, all records no reported problems asking price is $8000. Private sale so im sure some wiggle room, sounds like an older gentlemen who has taken great care of this car, however he said throttle body was never a problem on 02's?? And therefore his was never replaced.

Option two is a 03 s60 t5 manual with 126 000kms from one of those random small car dealers. Car had hail damage fixed on it in the past, air bag light is on, but is has finished the in-house mech inspection. Which at these small dealers i dont know if i really trust. But the price seems decent its going for $8900.

Before buying either car i would get inspected at a shop i trust then assuming a pass with flying color i would make an offer.

Let me know what you guys think?

02 vs 03, private sale original owner vs sketch dealer haha

Thanks

Haha yes back on topic please! My goal to start should really be lower i suppose. I want this to still be a daily driver and not kill me in fuel consumption. So lets say more along the lines of 320-330, i like the idea of the kk24 for an option to squeeze more power out down the road if i wanted to.

Here are two options i have found up here. Keep in mind these cars are more expensive in Canada as the supply is just not there to lower the price like in the US.

Option one is a 02 s60 t5 manual with 173 000 kms original owner, dealer serviced, all records no reported problems asking price is $8000. Private sale so im sure some wiggle room, sounds like an older gentlemen who has taken great care of this car, however he said throttle body was never a problem on 02's?? And therefore his was never replaced.

Option two is a 03 s60 t5 manual with 126 000kms from one of those random small car dealers. Car had hail damage fixed on it in the past, air bag light is on, but is had finished the in-house mech inspection. Which at these small dealers i dont know if i really trust. But the price seems decent its going for $8900.

Before buying either car i would get inspected at a shop i trust then assuming a pass with flying color i would make an offer.

Let me know what you guys think?

02 vs 03, private sale original owner vs sketch dealer haha

Thanks

The 2002 sounds great, but dont write off the 03 just yet. Hail damage that was already fixed shouldnt be an issue if done right, and the fact that its 50,000km less is big difference. An air bag light could be nothing - and they would have to have that fixed.

If u have any concern, have the 03 looked at by a trusted mechanic - and get a CarProof as we call it here in Canada. If the 03 doesnt come with service records, that doesnt mean it wasnt Volvo serviced. The car dealer just bought the car from auction more than likley and alot of auction cars dont come with a paper history. Infact, I just sold a modded 06 Civic coupe with only 80k that had no records at all. The new owner wanted records, so I called Honda and got them to run the Vin. It turned out the car had been serviced at the local Honda since day one. So you can always run the Vin and see if the car was a local car.

At end of the day, it usually goes to down to the buyers gut feeling most of the time, and the better deal of course. The 02 sounds like the safe bet, but the 03 could also be a great car. Im actually 3 weeks away from getting my dealership up and running which will mostly be higher end cars, and I'll be bringing up quite a bit from the US with pre-orders which we've done a few times now. Tryin to find a 911 GT2 at the moment actually. I would have gave you a fellow VS discount lol. But GL regardless!

Archived